Monster movie sound

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m purchasing equipment for a low budget monster movie. I’ve decided on the panasonic dvx 100 b for the camera but as we have three locations for the entire shoot (forest preserve, 900 sq ft. apartment and maybe a small office about 20 x 15 feet), I’m worried about sound. What type of sound equipment do I need it seems kind of dicey just to plug a shotgun mike into the camera and go? If this is a sufficient solution then great but I’d hate to do the whole movie just to have the sound is screwed up.

It’s low budget but needs good budget sound. What equipment would serve me in the three locations that I mentioned especially considering that some of the actors will have to scream and run at various intervals? As well as have moments of tender heart to hearts in the middle of the terror.

Thanks in advance

CraftersOfLight
      Participant

There are afew very good tips an tricks sessions available out this very question in the http://www.videomaker.com/vidcast/157/section. Some give well done demonstrations on the types of mics and kinds of performance expected. Episodes 113, 116 trough 121 cover the major types. Episode 73 talks about different types as well. Once you decide the type of mic you will be using shop for the best price/performance your budget allows.

Keep in mind sound is over 50% of the movie experience. Sound can make up for a lot of video issues.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks. I’ve been reading those articles and others all over the web; as well as ordered quite a few books and DVD’s. What I was hoping for was someone with a personal opinion that wasn’t mixed with a whole lot of theory? I was hoping that they’d begin their post with “well when I worked on (blank) I used (blank and blank) but I would use this on low-budget because it is a great deal cheaper or what have you.” I suppose that I have been oversaturated with information and was hoping that I could just get some opinions.

Not to appear ungreatful for your suggestion because I am. I thought that the whole point of a forum was to get professional perspectives on these filming situations otherwise what is the point? Afterall this is such an immense and thorugh website it could be said that any comment a professional member made on the subject of film/video was redundant; because you could just search the site. I believe that the makers of this site realized the need and desire for personal interactions with those in the trenches for support, reassurance and advice hence the existence of this forum.

I appreciate your comments but would relish some good old fashioned, no-nonsense, discriminating, no holds-barred, hard-bitten, slightly grizzled opinionated advice on the cheapest most reliable sound set-up possible. What you’d do if you had to beg, borrow and steal to record sound for a production and your very existence depended on the outcome? As if the real sound guy has flaked out, no one else will do it for the price, you have been deputized but you haven’t touch sound equipment since college? What would a professional sound engineer/audio technician advise?

Thanks.

Jay

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Sound’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best microphone for video production — 2021

Whether you’re recording audio for a commercial, a wedding or your next feature film, you need the best microphone possible.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN