mistake?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I made an short movie with some friends, and, it’s bad. Haha. Not bad as in quality but bad as in content. It was shot very nicely, lit very nicely, and edited decently, and it came out nicely for what I had to work with (store bought panasonic mini dv and flashlights). I’ve of course upgraded my equipment since then and am about to finish my course in video production. But I’m just curious if, this, abomination of a movie gets out to the wrong people, will I find it very difficult to find work? My friend is the main character, it was all his ideas, I just taped it and edited it. He’s all gung ho about it and thinks it’s the greatest movie ever made, he’s sent copies out to California and Florida, and one guy around here who has a copy that was given to him, is showing it to some editors he knows. Should I be worried, or has everyone done a project in their younger days that is crappy and embarrasing?

Ross

Inactive

Even Steven Spielberg had an embarassing moment or two. Remember "1941"? Spielberg remembers it, although I’m sure he wishes he didn’t.

Participant

I remember showing my first short in grad school to my class and CRYING afterwards 😯 and I am totally not an emotional person. I was just so terribly embarassed. And then the real torture came, my classmates’ unrelenting critiques of my work (not only did the piece suck, but film grad school is very competitive as well so it was, like, over an hour long session on how I had no talent). I didn’t have enough coverage, the plot (which was assigned) made no sense, and the editing had more jump cuts then I could count. It was shot on a Hi8 and transferred to Beta to edit then transferred to VHS. Then I had to re-edit (for class) three times. Oh the nightmare!! Now I watch it (all the crappy versions), and they’re the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

Just be relieved the first (and inevitably the worst) is under your belt and learn from your mistakes and the next one will be MUCH better. And don’t beat yourself up too much πŸ™‚

Congrats for finishing something. That’s more than a lot of people can say!

Beth

Inactive

Ross,

Anyone on the forum that says that their first video work was perfect would be lying. This particular field is one that takes experience and experience only. You dont just come out of college or a film school and make a Star Wars type move on the very first try and have it turn out like Spielbergs did. You need to walk before you can run. Like Beth said, you have to except the fact that your early works will seem inept but the key is to learn from mistakes and to build upon each thing you have done. Eventually your reach the top of the mountain after you produced a major blockbuster hit. Then you can look down at everyone else and say you did it. Then if you ever want a good laugh you can always throw in your first video and reflect on how you got to where you are today.

Congrats on your venture and keep it going. Well all be watching for your name on the big screen someday. πŸ˜‰

RAM

Participant

my first project, which was about 15 minutes long, ive re-edited 4 times and reshot most of it, added a new begining its now 25 minutes long, and if i go back and watch the original i wonder what the hell i was thinking. As far as long term effect of your first project, i wouldnt worry. most people would prolly forget who you were.

• Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
    homicide-bootstrap