Minimum/Suggested/Ideal

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I need to make a list of HD cameras, preferably 3 specific models, ranked as Minimum, Suggested, and Ideal for my employer. Now, I’ve listed the XL2 as Ideal if that helps give you a reference for what exactly I’m hoping for as far as price, features, quality.

The part I’m stuck on, even after reading about 100 reviews this afternoon, is finding my mid-range pick, which as most of you know, will probably be the one that gets the green light from the higher-ups. Knowing I’ll be settling for less than I want is, naturally, a big part of the battle I’m facing.

I’ve grudgingly listed the Sony HDR-HC3 as minimum. Actually, I don’t feel I’d have a lot of happiness with the resulting video from the reviews I’ve read, but it’s a starting low-point. I’m willing to be proven wrong of course.

So, simply stated, what would be your M/S/I list of 3 HD cameras? Hopefully this will not only be helpful to me, but interesting for all of us!

Participant

I’m just curious as to why you automatically chose the XL first. It would probably not be my first choice. The XL does not do DVCAM first off.

I like the Panasonic AG-HVX200. It shoots on a P2 card in 1080/60i, 30p and 24p; in 720/60p, 30p and 24p; and in DVCPRO50, DVCPRO or DV.

Inactive

I like it. It’s a realistic price and I don’t have a lot against it. I feel like it will hold up technologically for a relatively long period of time, which will appeal to the boss.

As I said, I’m willing to be wrong, and I suggested the XL2 more as "this is the price and features and quality I’m interested in", as opposed to "this is precisely the model I want".

And I confess, I’m still card-shy.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap