miniDV to archive on DVD in a format for later editing

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing miniDV to archive on DVD in a format for later editing

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi,
      I just joined the Forum and have the first question. I would like to archive my 1 hour miniDV tapes to DVD as compressed DV AVI files for later editing without a loss of quality. Is this the right approach or are there other ways (short of storing it on HDD) of doing it? Later, when I will have some time I would like to download the stored DV AVI files, edit the movies and burn them into another DVD as MPEG-2 file. I would appreciate the advice.
      Milan

Inactive

Well. You could do that but it might get to be a pain in the hinder. DV-AVI files can get very large. Just off the top of my head Im thinking that you can only store about 15 to 20 minutes or so of DV video to 1 normal DVD disk. That also means that you might have to take your jumbo files and cut them up in some kind of application so that they will fit on DVD’s plus you’ll have the hassle of handling and keeping track of everything. If you use DL disks then obviously you could store twice a much thus only doing half the work needed. If you really want to go with DVD disks, I would then only use DL’s.

There is a new DVD technology just coming into the arena that is supposed to be able to store a lot more data then our current normal DVD technology can. It will be using a new format called HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. The problem there is its kind of early to start shelling out money because no one knows whats all going to happen between the two yet. There is a sort of war going on that we consumers dont want to get in the middle of at this point in time. This new technology was primarily devised as a means to deliver HD content via DVD disks. It was needed because HD content takes up a lot more room than normal SD content does.

IMO, I would think about either of these 2 ways:

Monster external HDs are now out and their prices are coming way down. You could get yourself one (or more) of these and hook it up via USB and you could store major hours of AVI files without having to really do anything. The nice thing about these drives is you can retrieve these files with a click of a mouse and if your one drive fills up, you could just add another drive.

<OR>

Just archive using your DV tapes. Once you are all done editing or what have you, just copy your DV file(s) back to tape. You just would have to make sure you store these and take care of them properly.

In both cases you would retain the high quality youre looking for.

RAM

Inactive

Back in Feb I had to do basically the same thing. Store miniDV footage onto DVD discs as backups. The reason, the camera I used to shoot 19 bands in 13 hours was borrowed from a local access tv station and the heads were out of alignment. No other machine anywhere would play the recorded content because of the alignment problem. If the camera got fixed before I was done capturing, I would never be able to read the tapes contents. So, I had to capture the content in 18 minute chunks and write the file to DVD before it got fixed. Now that the camera is fixed the original tapes can’t be read, but I have all the tapes backed up and readable on DVD. I simply load the 2 or 3 files I need for any 1 band and place them back to back in the timeline. There are slight overlaps so I need to clean that part up. Problem solved.

I used about 60 DVDs to save everything. Yeah it sucks but I simply can’t commit that much HDD space for long term storage.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap