MiniDV Camera through airport X-Ray Machine? Bad???

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion MiniDV Camera through airport X-Ray Machine? Bad???

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

This weekend, I will be on a plane headed for PA to watch a Penn State football game. I live in Greenville, SC. I would really like to take my MiniDV camcorder with me.

1. The problem is that with all the hightened security am I even allowed to take it on the plane?

2. If I am allowed and I put it through the X-Ray machine, will it mess up the camera? How about the video tapes?
      Please let me know soon. I leave Thursday night.

Thank everyone.

Inactive

The camera itself should theoretically be okay. I would make sure thay know a (potentially) expensive camera is in there.

The last time I took tapes with me, I put them into a basket, and the security manually checked them out. But that was a long time ago. (I like driving.)

Inactive

compusolver Wrote:

"Jean, did you pack the shotgun?"

When I was in college, our chemistry professor told us a story:

He was traveling with a device called a bomb calorimeter in a little case of its own. He explained that the nickname for this device among chemistry mavens is simply, "bomb". When airport security asked him what was in the case, he slipped and merely said, "It’s a bomb." (Couldn’t guess that was coming, could you??) They pulled him aside, thoroughly searched him and the case, allowed him to board his plane, then pulled him off the plane again to examine him and the case all over again. He missed the flight, but was eventually allowed to take the next one – with bomb calorimeter in hand. This was many years ago. I wonder what would have transpired nowadays…

The moral: refer to your shotguns (mic’s) and your bombs (calorimeters) by some other names!

Participant

To tell you guys the truth, I’d much rather drive as well. But I am traveling for a quick weekend with my family. Since my mother is paying for the tickets, I wasn’t going to argue.

I WOULD MUCH RATHER DRIVE!

So just to make sure this is clear. The X-Ray machine should not damage the camera or tape? But you’re saying it would be smarter to put the tapes in the basket?

Thanks Guys for the quick replies.

• Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap