Mini-DV with mic jack?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I work with a cable access TV station. While I do have access to the stations equipment I am more comfortable using my own. I currently own 3 camcorders .. all Sony .. a Hi-8, a Digital-8 and a Mini-DV. The Hi-8 hasn’t been used in years.

I bought the Mini-DV as a "second" camera for two camera shoots, and as a backup for my main camera the Digital-8. However the Mini-DV, like many (most?) new consumer gear these days, does not have a jack for an external microphone.

I just bought a "good" (Sennheiser) wireless mic and if the Digital-8 camera goes down I’ll be out of luck. What Mini-DV cameras these days come with mic jacks?

Richard in Boston

Inactive

Check out places like B&H photo video and look at the specs. The list is quite long. I guess it really matters how much you want to spend. While alot of lower end cameras won’t have an external mic jack, there are alot of middle class cameras that do.

Inactive

The specs don’t necessarily tell every feature. I’m afraid that so few of us need that feature that even if it is there, many times the description won’t say .. but that’s just my gut feeling .. I have no proof;-)

INTERESTING: I was afraid I’d have to spend a grand to get something like a Panasonic DVC7, but it seems like the "low end" Cannons have a mic jack while the "higher" models don’t For instance the ZR800 does have it, while its two bigger brothers don’t. (SR830 & SR850)

As I understand it Canon makes this feature available on thier low end units for the educational market?

Anyway .. now the ZR800 is on my list of camcorders to consider…I wish Sony did something similar .. it would be nice to be able to use one of the two different batteries I now use on the third camera, but I guess that’s wishfull thinking.

Can anyone suggest any other units?

Richard in Boston, MA USA

Participant

Hi

I have used the lowend samsung vpd361i which has a mic jack. It fell and broke. You may have heard of its poor low light quality, but its acceptable in normal light. So I guess you could use it for mic applications in good light. In poor light it can hardly even focus right, taking too long to decide whether its in focus or not.

Used to use the older Sony DCR-TRV 14e which used to have both mic and headphone jacks, but hose are out of the market now, unless you get a used one somewhere.

Cherio

Participant

Yeah!!! BOTSWANA! πŸ˜€ Thats where I am. Unfortunately the wildlife opportunities I cannot make use of. Cant afford the kind of equipment needed for that. But this country is great. We dont actually live in trees! We got streets, cars, malls, TV and such. And our lions live out in the bush, not on our streets. If I could share video footage somehow I would take scenes and show you guys.

Has anybody noticed that while most websites say NO AV IN/OUT for cheaper cameras, the fact is some do have AV in? The Samsung VPD 361 I used to use actually has analogue video in. Probably the cheapest camera to have it. I could record TV programmes straight from the TV or VCR or even satelite TV decoder to tape. Its motor is broke so I now use it as an interface between my new Sony camera and any other analogue input.

I also intend to use it for interviews, since it has a MIC input jack, while actually recording with the Sony. I think that idea of recording with a laptop and microphone in sync with your video recording could work. Then after that you syncronise using editing software like in a music video. I will try it out.

Does anybody know any charity organisations that would donate money or cameras so I could start a youth video club and teach them all I know even though its little? I love video too much!
      Cherio πŸ™‚

Participant

Very true. Recently purchased a panasonic 3ccd camcorder for our office and it has the mic jack. Yet to do a complete check of how good it is to users!

Participant

ramirault Wrote:

I was afraid I’d have to spend a grand to get something like a Panasonic DVC7, but it seems like the "low end" Canons have a mic jack while the "higher" models don’t For instance the ZR800 does have it, while its two bigger brothers don’t. (SR830 & SR850)

As I understand it Canon makes this feature available on thier low end units for the educational market? Anyway .. now the ZR800 is on my list of camcorders to consider … Can anyone suggest any other units?

ZR800 has no filter thread, and afaik has no manual control over shutter speed / aperture, only generic exposure correction. It is the point-and-shooter for monkeys. Next stop in Canon DV/HDV line is HV10, which is ugly, quirky and unergonomic, so HV20 is the only meaningful choice from Canon. You may search for a used or refurbished Elura 100 or even Optura 50, seen the latter for about $400, don’t know whether they indeed have it in stock. Afaik, there are no mic input on Panasonic MiniDV this year.

Michael, Canon Elura User Pages

Participant

I realise most of the people i talk to on this forum are more professional and can afford better camcorders than I can, but I will advise you anyway, for all its worth. The Panasonic with mic and headphones jacks theat i was talking about is the Panasonic NV-GS300. Its a 3ccd item amd is consumer stuff. Check it out and see if its not too low end for you.

Participant

Man-KC Wrote:

I realise most of the people i talk to on this forum are more professional and can afford better camcorders than I can, but I will advise you anyway, for all its worth. The Panasonic with mic and headphones jacks theat i was talking about is the Panasonic NV-GS300. Its a 3ccd item amd is consumer stuff. Check it out and see if its not too low end for you.

They do not sell GS-300 in States anymore. This model is replaced with GS-320 which does not have mic input.

Participant

Oh boy….It seems manufactures are really going backwards trying to stop hobbyists from producing near proffesional videos. We will all just have to keep informing one another on which cameras have what and buying those that offer the best only. Will let you know if I see anything good out there. KC

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best tripods for video β€” 2021

Carefully comparing and reviewing system specs will ultimately help you find the best tripod to fit your needs and your budget.
homicide-bootstrap