Mini DV VCR

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am a new forum member just getting into the video production. I am in the market for a Mini DV VCR to review underwater video as part of a research program. Several people have recommended the Sony GV-D1000 unit. However, others (and the on line reviews) suggest that this unit is not very durable. Any words of wisdom about this unit? I like the small screen on the unit for use quick review in the field (but can live without it), as I plan on hooking the unit up to a larger monitor for actual, video review and editing. Are there suggestions on other units which might be better options?

I appreciate any help you can provide, Fishboy

Participant

As a previous owner of the Sony GV-D300 (same as the GV D1000 without the screen), I can say that it was a very reliable unit for at least 1 1/2 years. After that time, it needed new heads, door latch. After returned from the Sony Service Center it worked fine for another 4 months and the same problems started occuring again. I was told by both Sony and B&H Video that this unit is based on a consumer quality components and if you are doing a lot of editing, consider the Sony DSR-11 deck (Commercial Grade). I’m waiting on my delivery of the DSR-11 unit currently.

Participant

For the money, you could purchase about 3 or 4 consumer minidv cameras with lcd screens on them. They use batteries and are great for use in the field. You can use them just like a deck and capture via firewire. Make sure it will display your timecode, and you are set. The consumer single chip minidv cameras use the same tape mechanism components as a consumer quality deck. It’s true, and it will save you a lot of money!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap