mini dv transfering onto pc?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

ive justgot into the land of technology(i.e pc).how do i get my mini dv onto pc for editing/burning?

Participant

Hi, there are different ways of downloading to your computer, you can by an expensive sony DV player!!$$ or you can just use a camcorder with
      a Firewire cable to download. I suggest if you want to do it with a camcorder, to buy a cheap camcorder just for that purpose NEVER use a USB cable for downloading!

Brother Matthew

Participant

Most cameras come with editing and transfer software of some sort. Stay away from USB and MPG1 save formats. That’s what came with my JVC camera and its rubbish.
      You will need a computer with fire wire (can purchase as add on) and a decent video editing program.
      Pinacle 10 has issues. I use Pinnacle 9 plus and do not have issues – it is very easy to use and is a good entry level program.
      You should have two hard drives – one for the program and operating system and the ohter for video capture, rendering etc. A video card with plenty of memory will be an advantage with Studio 9 as it uses the video cards Graphic Processing Unit to help do back ground renders. I have 2GB of ram as well.
      If you use the computer for other programs make sure they are all turned off and that you do not have anti-virus and spyware programs running in the background.

Participant

ive now got the picture and audio onto the pc but its very jerky is this because im using usb?whats firewire all about and is it expensive?im currently 512 meg ram will this affect it?

Inactive

phil444 Wrote:

ive now got the picture and audio onto the pc but its very jerky is this because im using usb?whats firewire all about and is it expensive?im currently 512 meg ram will this affect it?

Firewire is the only way to go for DV transfer. Firewire card – $ 15, Firewire cable – $ 5.
      RAM, or anything else, has nothing to do with it.

Participant

USB is the reason for the jerky capture – no matter what the salesman tells you, it is not as good as firewire.
      Fire wire is a faster and transfers large amunts of information without the jerky video problems. The same can happen if you use an external DVD reader/writer and connect with USB. Playback of a DVD will be jerky as the data transfer is too slow.
      The Ram has nothing to do with causing the capture to be jerky.
      Ram does effect the processing (rendering) of your final masterpiece.

Enjoy and have fun learning what can be at times a frustrating hobby.

Participant

I just got a Panasonic GS250 that records to mini DV. I am lost as to how to share my video with others.

I managed to transfer my video to my pc using the usb. Now that you guys mention it I do recall it being a little jerky. My computer does not have a firewire port. I thought I was going to be able to transfer from camcorder to pc via usb and then to dvd recorder after editing via s video and rca cables.

I was concerned about adding a firewire port to my pc, b/c I never like to crack a computer open ( or anyone else ) and add stuff.

Any thoughts? Can I go from camera to recorder and edit on the recorder?

Not sure what to do.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap