Mini DV Tapes – Sony/Panasonic

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      svtcobraltd
      Participant

I have read a lot about using the same MiniDV tapes. I just bought a barely used Cannon GL2 and the previous owner stated he used Panasonic DVM60EJ tapes. I have about 15 Sony DVM60PR tapes. Should I go buy a whole bunch of the Panasonic tapes or just stick with the Sony’s?

Also I have heard about Sony’s tapes being abrasive on the heads? Any truth to that? Dont want to ruin a nice camera.

Rob
      Participant

I’ve used Sony tapes when I had a GL2. I never had a problem. If the previous owner used Panasonic tapes and you want to switch to Sony, I don’t think you will have a problem. Just don’t switch brands too much.

composite1

I first came across this issue back in ’02 when I was working with a large production facility. They had panasonic VTR’s for their high-end stuff and portable sony VTR’s for their low-end projects. There was a constant clamor about sony tapes in panasonic gear, ‘sony leaves particles on heads and are abrasive.’ Well any magnetic tape leaves particles and the friction moving across a tape head is abrasive (that’s why they made head cleaners.) I’ve talked to broadcast engineers who deal with this stuff and they’re split on this. I haven’t noticed any problems though I primarily use panasonic pro grade tape and on occasion use sony. All I can add is just to do regular head cleanings according to the manufacturer’s recommendations and you should be just fine.

svtcobraltd
      Participant

Good information. If I am using Sony tapes on the GL2, should I use the Sony head cleaner?

composite1

Truthfully, I can’t tell the difference between any of them. Each company makes their own. All I know is if I use a head cleaner, they get cleaned.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing — 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.