Mics

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m still searching for a good but inexpensive mic to work with. Currently working with the mic on my XL-2 but if I can afford a good one I will pick it up. Can anyone tell me anything about this mic?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-Nady-Dkw-1-Lavalier-Wireless-System-472552-i1412776.gc

I have a Nady handheld, but even for their low prices they’re not much of a value IMHO. I think one would be better off purchasing RadionShack units than Nady, and probably at comparable prices.

Participant

Thanks for that information Earl. I think I will continue to use the onboard mic until I can afford a better one. I now you like the Sony brand, but I can’t afford the 700.00 ones you have. What is a good lavalier (Cordless or not cordless) that would be at a reasonable price? Something I could work my way up to, but would be happy to have?

RadioShack definitely has a wired lav system that works very well, using a button battery in a small control nodule in the line. I don’t remember how much it cost me and the model I have is discontinued (it had a longer cable and the replacement has a shorter cable, but an extension cable will work fine) I believe it was $50 or less. And it DOES work GREAT. The old model number is 33-3003. There was a mic discussion here somewhere where another person knew the new mic and indicated he was actually going to purchase one.

Good mics are affordable but you certainly want input from people who actually have and use the ones they recommend, not suggestions based on … whatever. I also know that GREAT mics are very expensive, but there’s a slew of quality mics from Rhode, Shure, and even Sony that work well. I suspect others will pipe in here as well. And, of course, I use my Zoom H2 (now under $200) both as a standalone digital recorder, AND in tandem with the RadioShack model, or similar, that I mentioned earlier.

Participant

flclaus,

In the previous discussion that EarlC was refering to, I checked for the Radio Shack model 33-3003 and it appears to have been replaced by model 33-3013. I purchased one and have used it a few times with a Zoom H2 with good results. It is very inexpensive. It uses a button battery and has a shorter cable than the previous model.

Participant

Thanks videoman. I will definately check it out.

Participant

I did a search on Musician’s Friend and got over 100 possibilities:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=wireless+lavalier

Participant

Good advice Earl…. here in Canada radio shack changed it’s name to the source.

I was able to pick out 2 of those mics with long cords on clearance for $9.95 each.

Works great, how many hours do you get to one of those button cells?

I am thinking it might not last too long…

I am going to try replacing the button cell with a aa and add a resistor and led to the aa battery holder and try that out…

Hello Don, the button battery has given me as much as 4 continuous hours without beginning to fail. I did a stress test on a couple from a bulk package when I first purchased the unit. One I simply left on and checked six hours later and it still had a weak signal. The other I left the unit on for eight hours and there was no power at all. So it would appear 4 hours is optimum.

I suppose, if I had the knowledge, rigging with a longer-lasting power supply might be an approach, especially for events in excess of 2-3 continuous hours of audio need. But this fits the bill for most of my audio session requirements.

Participant

yeah I figured four or five hours… would just hate to find out the hard way during a shoot… lol! thanx for saving me the trouble of testing (as well as the price of a battery).

now battery price, here in Canada the Source does have thier own battery brands (seem about as good as Duracells to me)… they have an optional battery warranty plan…. about a buck and a half and they’ll give you up to 2 free replacements over the year….. so that is three batteries for the price of a comparable Duracell…. good deal IMHO

Participant

In the previous post about microphones, it was mentioned that you should always monitor your audio as you are recording. This would be especially important if you areunsure about the life of your battery in your lav mic.

Participant

yes you are correct vid-e-o-man…

but let me add one thing to refine your remark….

Listening to your audio while it takes a turn and heads goes south, so to speak is not all that helpful especially during shoots where re-shoots or second takes are not feasible or possible.

KNOWING your equipment and swapping batteries that won’t endure the whole shoot is expected for a pro.

When somebody hires a pro part of what they are paying for is insurance, or in the case of easy to predict problems, assurance that you will get the shot…..

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap