microphone advice

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

A. I want to do documentary video work (field interviews, etc) and I keep reading that I need a stick mike to record better sound to the camcorder (XL2)

B. I also read that I should have a shotgun mike for on-camera work that requires distance.

C. In addition I would like to be able record wild tracks on a digital recorder(stuff like ambient outdoor sounds, birds, ocean, crowds, in stereo) and maybe some podcasting.

There are so many mike choices and brands that it’s bewildering. Can I combine A & B? Help me cut through the jargon and hype, and give me some good recomendations. Thanks.

Participant

If you don’t mind pricey stuff, go no further: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/category.asp?transid=cat34

You need a shot gun (ME 66) for field interviews and a stick mic (MD 46) for on cameras (stand ups). If you are on a tight budget, you may want to start with MD 46 for both purposes.

As I am not biased towards one manufacturer, I would suggest you to have a look at another great group of products: http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/index.htm. Currently I am using VP64AL.

As for the lav mic, here is the one: http://www.lectrosonics.com/catalogs/UniversalCatalogPages/LavMics-M152.htm

coming with the range of wireless devices suitable for your stick and shot gun.

I have heard good stuff about Sennheiser wireless lav mic pack, although did not have a chance to try it. I guess you can’t go wrong with Sennheiser.

Participant

It sounds like we have similar needs. I just bought the Audio-technica AT897 for the shotgun. I got a Sennheiser kit for interviews – one wireless lav, one wireless handheld, one receiver, one transmitter.
      I haven’t used the stuff yet, but I’m confident it is of high quality and will suit my needs. I spoke to a lot of people at the last NAB convention and they steered me toward this gear.

The handheld has a removable transmitter so it can be used with XLR cable if I want to wire it to the camera and run a boom – useful if I run into radio interference or interview two people with only one lav.

It is not cheap! I’m hoping to do broadcast quality work overseas. I can’t afford equipment failure and bad sound has ruined a lot of footage. I’m testing and calibrating all my new gear before heading off to the rainforest. I’ll post again if I learn anything worth sharing.

Look at the different kits B&H offers.

Question for you – Why might I want a seperate digital recorder? As an old film person I am thrilled at getting away from synching a dual system. I have two cameras – I could use #2 to record additional audio.

I have a mike? for others reading this post (A question that will out me as a ‘newbie’ who shouldn’t be giving sound advice.)

Do I need to buy ferrets for my mikes? The lav didn’t come with any kind of windscreen at all, just a little metal thing I can’t manage to squeeze onto the cylinder, and the shotgun has the standard foam. Should I get one of those real hairy beasts? I might encounter some wind issues, but I’m not too keen on spending more money right now. However, if I need the gear . . .

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
homicide-bootstrap