Mic to Computer Problems

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello, in the next few weeks I am going to be helping my friends record a ska cover of Roxanne by The Police and later create a music video for it. While doing soundchecks and tests the other night, we ran into a small problem with the microphone; but first let me describe to you our unique way of getting the sound into the computer.

The four basic instruments we are using are an acoustic guitar, bass guitar, brass instruments, and vocals. We are feeding the microphone and guitar jacks into an amp and from there using an xlr to 2.5mm adapter and 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter to go into the computer, where we are using Sony Vegas 9 to record, but could also use audacity if needed.

The guitar comes in great and is perfect, however the microphone doesn’t. It is extremely quiet sounding, even when the amp levels are turned up to the highest and computer is to the highest. With the microphone boost and levels turned up to max on all of it, itis notwhere it should be. Things can be much more easily heard but still notgood enough for recording, also turning up the levels this creates a lot of white noise in the background.

We know for a fact that the microphone works well, and we are pretty sure it’s not the cord or even adapter problems. Is it that there is no soundboard hooked to it or is there something we could be missing? If the only solution is somethingcosting a lot of money, we will probably just look for a more basic computer mic instead ofa concert micwith an xlr output.

Also, anybody have ideas on a skacoustic music video?

Participant

One thing you should know is that a computer makes one of the lousiest audio devices, particularly if there’s not an amplifier jacking it up so you can turn your computer down.

The juicedlink’s good, but in your situation, I’d buy a recorder, and substitute it for the 1/8″ jack on your computer. Make sure the recorder it has a 1/8″ http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbs=shop%3A1%2Cprice%3A1%2Cppr_min%3A100%2Cppr_max%3A1000%2Cp_ord%3Ap&as_q=digital+recorder&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&scoring=p&as_occt=any&price1=100&price2=1000&show=dd&safe=active#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=active&biw=1266&bih=647&tbs=shop:1&q=digital+recorder&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=7abca7ded92a1c3

Participant

Thanks, if issues continue we will probably use my dad’s digital recorder he uses for his job, any recommendations on how and where to set up a microphone such as that to a vocal or instrumental sound?

Participant

For instruments, besides the guitar, just set up the mics normally.

For voice, get the mic a little closer, and add a pop board

For the guitar, just use its amp output

Participant

Hi

You have an electronics issue. Specifically mic level, instrument level, line level.

Your mic needs a pre amp between it and the amp.

<p id=”post_message_7164479″>Line level is decibels across a standard voltage. It’s often expressed as decibel volts (dBv) or decibels unloaded (dBu). Each of these has its own reference voltage. But in any event, whether you’re basing it on +4dBv (so called pro standard) or -10dBu (so called consumer standard), you’re talking about a lot more level than mic level or instrument level.

There is no standard for instrument level. For example, guitars and keyboards are not equal level instrument outputs, yet either can go through an amp, for instance. But instrument level’s usually somewhere between mic and line level, and to go true line level you usually need an active direct box of some kind. To go mic level, you can use an active or passive direct box.

Microphones don’t put out much voltage, so the signal is the lowest of the three, and needs to be raised quite a bit to reach line level. Remember, the mic is a very small diaphragm moving against a coil, a charged backplate, or between magnets. Not much output. So mic preamps do the raising of the signal level, hence, “pre-amplification”. Different mics have different output levels, there isn’t a true standard. A condenser mic, for example, has an output so tiny that it needs a built in active preamplifier that raises the level enough to reach typical mic level! This is why you have such things as tube mics, for that preamplification.

Hope this explanation helps a little!

credit:

<table width=”100%” cellpadding=”0″ cellspacing=”6″ border=”0″>
      <tbody>
      <tr>
      <td nowrap=”nowrap”>
      <p state=”false” unselectable=”true” id=”postmenu_7164479″>LSchefman LSchefman is offline
      <script type=”text/javascript”>// <![CDATA[
      vbmenu_register(“postmenu_7164479”, true);
      // ]]></script>

<p class=”smallfont”>Senior Member
      </td>
      <td width=”100%”></td>
      </tr>
      </tbody>
      </table>

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=632772

Hope this is your answer if I read your post correcly – good luck with your project.

I believe blit has the answer.  ART makes inexpensive preamps specifically for this purpose and they have proved satisfactory for me in solving the problem you describe. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap