Mic Recommendation needed

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I would very much appreciate some input on microphone usage.

The application is the making of a short (as in 15-30 seconds) video clip for the web.

It will consist of a guy standing and giving essentially a short "welcome" message kind of thing.

I am an amateur at videos, but don’t want to be stuck with the sound I’ll get from the built in mic.

So I’m thinking maybe a lavaliere or shotgun of some sort, recorded separately onto my DAT machine.

If possible, he’d like to keep the mic cost under $150.

Appreciate any advice with regard to class (lavaliere, shotgun, other?), specific brands/models, vendors…anything!

-G

Inactive

Well, I’ll assume your DAT machine has a mini-plug mic input (as opposed to an XLR mic input).

I’ve been using a Rode Videomic, which is a shotgun mic costing about $150. It works very well. If used outdoors in any sort of breeze, a shotgun mic should be used with a fur "wind muff". Rode sells an affordable one called a "DeadCat" for its mic. If your subject is some distance from the camcorder, then a mic extension cable and a mic boom (and maybe a boom operator) would be needed. BTW, a mic boom coud be just a $4 bamboo pole with a 1/4" bolt through it.

If your subject is going to be some distance from the camera, and moving around, then a wireless lav makes more sense. Azden has some reasonably priced mic/xmtr/rcvr kits.

Hope this helped, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

Great to know – thanks!

My DAT is an older Sony that has RCA’s for analog and optical and coax for digital. I have a small mixer I was planning to use for the mic.

I like the bamboo idea! Creative functional ingenuity at its finest (or thereabouts…!)

-G

Inactive

Great info, guys!

I’ve found that telescoping tree pruners also work well as boom poles. I actually spray painted over a bright green model to use on a pro shoot. It was functional and didn’t look like I was trimming a tree:)

There are many advantages to a commercial boom pole though: less weight and more reliability are two.

-andrew

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders β€” 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap