Mic Recommendation needed

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I would very much appreciate some input on microphone usage.

The application is the making of a short (as in 15-30 seconds) video clip for the web.

It will consist of a guy standing and giving essentially a short "welcome" message kind of thing.

I am an amateur at videos, but don’t want to be stuck with the sound I’ll get from the built in mic.

So I’m thinking maybe a lavaliere or shotgun of some sort, recorded separately onto my DAT machine.

If possible, he’d like to keep the mic cost under $150.

Appreciate any advice with regard to class (lavaliere, shotgun, other?), specific brands/models, vendors…anything!

-G

Inactive

Well, I’ll assume your DAT machine has a mini-plug mic input (as opposed to an XLR mic input).

I’ve been using a Rode Videomic, which is a shotgun mic costing about $150. It works very well. If used outdoors in any sort of breeze, a shotgun mic should be used with a fur "wind muff". Rode sells an affordable one called a "DeadCat" for its mic. If your subject is some distance from the camcorder, then a mic extension cable and a mic boom (and maybe a boom operator) would be needed. BTW, a mic boom coud be just a $4 bamboo pole with a 1/4" bolt through it.

If your subject is going to be some distance from the camera, and moving around, then a wireless lav makes more sense. Azden has some reasonably priced mic/xmtr/rcvr kits.

Hope this helped, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

Great to know – thanks!

My DAT is an older Sony that has RCA’s for analog and optical and coax for digital. I have a small mixer I was planning to use for the mic.

I like the bamboo idea! Creative functional ingenuity at its finest (or thereabouts…!)

-G

Inactive

Great info, guys!

I’ve found that telescoping tree pruners also work well as boom poles. I actually spray painted over a bright green model to use on a pro shoot. It was functional and didn’t look like I was trimming a tree:)

There are many advantages to a commercial boom pole though: less weight and more reliability are two.

-andrew

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap