Matching Canon XL2

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Hey everyone, it’s been a while out of the film business. I have been asked to film a wedding for someone, the last time I filmed one was back in 2005. I have a canon XL2 and GL1. I use the XL2 as a main camera and the GL1 as a B camera for wide shots.

The fact is that it is hard to match the two together, and with the age of the GL1 I’m thinking it’s time for another camera.

So here is my question, do you think i should purchase a used GL2, would it match better? or should I go for another XL2, the problem here is that I may only be doing this one wedding, so I don’t know if it is worth upgrading to HD.

What do you all think?

Thanks for all of your help
      -Rob

Participant

This can become a hard task for multi-cam shooters. There are plenty of variables – video format, CCD size, white balance (which is for the most part easy to fix), etc.

Anyway, you certainly don’t want your primary camcorder HD along with an SD camcorder, or vice versa. If one HD camcorder belongs to a multi-cam setup, all camcorders should shoot in HD. Another thing to keep in mind is that HD camcorders have a lower light sensativity – a 1/6″ single-chip CCD recording in Standard definition would be more light-sensative to a 1/6″ single CCD of an HD camcorder.

So here is my question, do you think i should purchase a used GL2, would it match better? or should I go for another XL2,

Doing some research, it appears that both MiniDV (DV-AVI format) camcorders. The Canon XL2 records with a slightly larger CCD (1/3″) than that of a GL2 (1/4″) – GL1 is the same. Comparing the two, it probably won’t make much of a difference. I’d closely compare the image quality from the XL2 with the GL1 and see if you’re satisfied. Otherwise, I would purchase a second XL2.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2021

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap