Marketing Challenge for All

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

This is nothing I haven’t written about before, either here or on my video marketing and production blog at E.C. Come, E.C. Go, established in 2004 and still going strong … well, fairly strong πŸ˜‰ I want to refresh my tried and proven series of direct-mail postcard marketing programs with independent professional video services providers who actively read Videomaker.com and the forums who may, or not, be enjoying a steady stream of inquires, phone calls, e-mails or website visitors.

Ignore what you’ve previously experienced, read or heard about direct-mail marketing. Open up your vision and THINK about what I’m going to share with you. Then, let’s see HOW MANY of you are willing to commit to a 90-day, six-month or, dare I hope, one-year experiment with me. Let’s see HOW MANY will actually take up this challenge.

Then, in 30-days, 90-days, so on and so forth, maybe we can get discussions going here based on reports from those who start, come on or drop off, and see what each of you did, how far you took it, and the results … positive, negative or neutral.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT EARL?

Any of you who have read my marketing articles know I am a firm believer of small direct-mail postcard campaigns focused on specific areas of interests dance schools, school events, collective or specific youth sports such as baseball, basketball, swimming, soccer, etc. and many, many others. What I mean by “small” and “focused” is less than 100 units per campaign, and as mentioned above, postcards designed to appeal to a specific area of interest.

HERE’S THE CHALLENGE!

DO A GOOGLE SEARCH or use any other method of identifying ANY facility, school, organization, club or group(s) of interest within your service area. Get addresses and as often as you can, GET SPECIFIC NAMES! Someone to address that postcard to: the counselor, owner, director, choreographer, events planner, organizer, etc.

DESIGN A POSTCARD with minimum wording, a call to action and a promise you can keep a special price, special offer, something unique and appealing that addresses the “what’s in it for me” question that EVERYONE you try to sell something to will ask, and not always ask aloud.

COMMIT TO MAILING a minimum of ONEpostcard a day, on average, (that’s right JUST ONE, although MORE is better) and stick to the commitment. It takes only minutes to come up with 30 or so viable addresses, and often names, for most active events for this. Ten minutes, or less, a day if you ONLY look for one, identify it, address the postcard, stick a stamp to it and put it in the mailbox.

KEEP A RECORD of what happens. What interest group(s) you selected. Who you mailed to. How many you mailed. How many responses you get. How many sales, gigs or opportunities you received. Then come here and give us all your updates for the duration of your commitment, be it 30 or 90 days, or longer.

YOU WILL ENJOY a better than 5 percent response ratio. I’ve been doing this for years and I’ve averaged an eight percent or better level of response to each direct mail campaign and batch. I’ve ALWAYS done better than break even when factoring in my costs and time, always getting MORE business income than what I invested. Yes, a REAL R.O.I. (return on investment).

THE SECRET TO SUCCESS is as follows:

Persistency, consistency, commitment WILL generate responses. You ARE gaining eyeballs, and TELL yourself this until you believe it, even if you DON’T receive ONE response over a 90-day period. People WILL read your postcard, many of them will save it for reference purposes because even if they don’t perceive a need today, they will want to keep it as a resource for tomorrow’s, next week’s or next month’s special party, event, or even to replace a videographer they’ve become displeased with, or one that has flaked out on them. These reasons and more have resulted in our getting gigs over the period of the campaign.

Keep your records because you WANT to repeat mailings, either with the SAME direct-mail piece, or a revised one, but still with your prominent business name branding present so you continue with the association, visibility and linkage, and familiarity that comes from repetition. DON’T however, overdo it by getting rambunctious and saturating your addresses with something tantamount to SPAM or JUNK MAIL. That is counter productive, guaranteeing a negative return and direct-to-trash response.

Make your content simple, compelling and ALWAYS include a call to action: “CALL NOW!” “E-mail TODAY!” “BOOK YOUR EVENT before the date is lost!” so on and so forth.

I’ve included a poll here. Hopefully a good number of you video enthusiasts who are seeking ways to expand, build or develop your business base will take up the Marketing Challenge for ALL and we ALL will learn from the results and responses here over time.

Just DO IT!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap