Manual Focusing Assist Using Auto-Focus Circuits

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Open Forum Manual Focusing Assist Using Auto-Focus Circuits

• This topic has 9 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 13 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

OK, sounds crazy, but here’s the idea for industry to incorporate into pro & semi-pro cameras.
      If you have an auto-focus system that uses contrast as the optimum focus, why not use that same circuit, while in manual focus, to display when the selected subject area is in the optimum focus?
      I have several cameras for production- the main two are a Canon GL-1 and a JVC DV5000U. The Canon is a royal pain to manual focus under some conditions. The JVC has no auto-focus. When shooting sports, you are usually outdoors in bright lighting conditions that make critical focus even more difficult. It would be nice if we had a manual focus assist for some of these conditions.
      Industry is always looking for "bells and whistles" that make their product stand out from others. This could be one.

Keith Breazeal
      Flight Video Magazine
      http://www.kbvp.com

Inactive

digital slrs have had that for years. it’s time. also image size tracking to alter the zoom as the subject moves to keep the subject the same size in the frame!
      Do you know what else would really rock?
      My Pentax slrs have a feature called "snap in focus" where you set the focus manually, lock the shutter, and when the subject moves into focus the shutter fires! (eg focus at a point in front of a bird feeder, and the camera doesn’t fire the shutter until a bird moves into the spot where your lens is focussed).

now imagine having multi spots in your frame, where you can pre program manual presets for zoom, focus and exposure, and when a subject moves throught the targeted areas, the program shifts the camera settings! (ie you have one setting for the couple walking down an isle, but when they pass a point near a window, the camera settings change, then when they reach the alter, the camera zooms in, sets the right exposure settings).

Inactive

I’m working on that.
      24 volt wheelchair motors.
      motorized camera mount.
      connected to a mackbook.
      operates over internet with video feed and remote camera operation.

Inactive

OK, sounds crazy, but here’s the idea for industry to incorporate into pro & semi-pro cameras.
      If you have an auto-focus system that uses contrast as the optimum focus, why not use that same circuit, while in manual focus, to display when the selected subject area is in the optimum focus?
      I have several cameras for production- the main two are a Canon GL-1 and a JVC DV5000U. The Canon is a royal pain to manual focus under some conditions. The JVC has no auto-focus. When shooting sports, you are usually outdoors in bright lighting conditions that make critical focus even more difficult. It would be nice if we had a manual focus assist for some of these conditions.
      Industry is always looking for "bells and whistles" that make their product stand out from others. This could be one.

Keith Breazeal
      Flight Video Magazine
      http://www.kbvp.com

Inactive

here’s a snapshot of a partially assembled prototype. Mechanically functional, but no robotic arm (think boom crane, but smaller) installed yet.

Inactive

They already make the perfect robot for remote work. 😯

Inactive

While we are off topic, here’s one for covering all outdoor weddings in a tri-state area at the same time.

http://www.kbvp.com/node/35

Inactive

I don’t think either of those will fit in my van.
      javascript:emoticon(‘:(‘)
      robotic camera platforms, are not so far off the list of features one could ask for in a pro camera setup.
      my rig can already do dolly moves, serve as a tripod, power lighting equipment, and recharge batteries, broadcast live video via Ichat or quicktime broadcaster, record dv and hdv direct to harddrive, and serve as a remote telepresence.

Having some of the programable features I mentioned, and more computer and web integration built into the cameras, may in fact become more desirable features as robotics become more popular. I don’t think many camera operators would scoff at the idea of having a remote controlled camera/tripod combo that could be controlled by say a bluetooth enabled phone.
      live preview, pan, tilt, zoom, focus, exposure controlls at your finger tips. (I recall some posts on other threads about videographers not being able to move around to get shots…..remote enabled, programable cameras, discretely placed may become viable sooner rather than later).
      How people use the equipment does weigh in to what what features we’ll all be asking for in the future.
      So I don’t consider this thread to be totally hijacked.

Inactive

The built in storage compartment can keep a six pack cold for hours…..

Inactive

Now that is technology at work! Remembering to integrate the human factor has always been the shortfall. Don’t forget to integrate the auto-corkscrew for the reception. πŸ˜‰

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors β€” 2020

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap