Making videos?????

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I plan on making fishing and hunting videos and marketing them to the public. What type of camera should i get? should i get a digital? what would be best for this type of work?Also if I edit it from my computer will it be of good quality? thanks

Inactive

use the search button it will help you, as will google. to answer your questions, go digital, yes editing on your computer is good, and if you are planning on selling to the public, go for a 3CCD camera, any of the sony vx models or the TRV950 is good or the canon GL1/2 are good. look around.

Participant

Hi,
    Another perspective:
    Your questions suggest that you dont know anything about video and have no experience. It takes a ton of knowhow/discipline/patience to translate a plan/dream into a video product that will be of interest to a particular marketing niche, so that they will want to see it or own it. Francis Coppola, in a documentary (Hearts of Darkness) on the making of his film Apocalypse Now, offered the reflection/speculation that someday a young teen would take her daddys camera and create a film work of genius, perhaps another Citizen Kane. I think he should have added that this might be true if the young teen has the brilliance of Leonardo Da Vinci, The Beatles, or Picasso. However, all others (and this applies to fishing video producers too) will need to work hard at this craft and/or take a class or workshop or two (or find a patient mentor with lots of time). Also, you might want to acquire some videos that exist in the hunting and fishing fields, and study them shot by shot, scene by scene. What would you do the same or differently in your videos. Does the voiceover suck? What would be your slant? If you find yourself scratching down a shot list of ten or twenty items you want to appear in your video, and without much effort, well maybe you do have a special aptitude that needs to be discovered.
    As for the gear, suggest that you get an inexpensive ($200-400), maybe used camcorder as a starter camcorder, one that you will feel comfortable about taking on fishing and hunting trips, which will subject your cam to moisture and other environmental wear and tear. Start shooting and getting comfortable with putting a camera in the face of your friends as they hunt and fish. This would be a good start.
    REGARDS TOM

Inactive

thanks for youre replys, i totally understand what you guys mean. i have taken a few video productiuon classes. i just wanted some direction as how to get started and what equiupment you guys recomend.

BrianBrian
    Participant

go digital

Participant

When you inquire about editors, you are talking religion. Most pro editors have a downloadable demo version that you can try before you buy. Don’t let others make this, the single most important selection in your workflow, for you.

Participant

I’m a huge fan of anything 24p right now. I come from shooting film cameras, and to me, anything that mimics film makes any production look better. But then again, that’s just me.

If you are going for video. I love the GL2 lately, been using it for some productions. When I don’t have 24p to use, I use the GL2.

If you are a student of somewhere, don’t forget to hit up http://www.studica.com until you learn the program. The upgrade to the professional versions when it’s time to start generating some cash with your work.

Inactive

Ducker:

OK, here’s my 2cents, which is worth probably about that.

I’m a newbie that got into DVD authoring because I had a “great idea”. I love Yosemite. People buy hiking guide books – but hey, nobody reads anymore. I decided to do a DVD on hiking trails in Yosemite (figured I’d be selling thousands). No prior experience in the field.

I spent several thousand dollars, and hundreds (thousands?) of hours to get my DVD done. I thought that there would be such interest that the DVD would sell itself. I’ve found out that marketing is a much bigger job than I expected. I’ve sold 100 (give or take a few) and though I am a newbie it has been very well received (I even had one customer approach an outdoor store in my behalf because he wanted to see me succeed so that I would make more DVD hiking guides). While this gives me a sense of satisfaction, these few customers do not pay the bills.

Conclusion? At the current selling rate, this DVD will never have been “worth” doing financially/time-wise..but I did have some fun doing it. So my advice is: if you want to do it for fun, do it. Just don’t expect to be quiting your day job all too soon, and as in the stock market, don’t invest more money than you can afford to lose πŸ˜‰

• Viewing 7 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap