Make subject color, and background black and white.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Make subject color, and background black and white.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      kr0490
      Participant

How can I make the person in my video clip in color and the background in black and white. I have adobe premiere and after effects. Thanks for any help!

Anonymous
      Inactive

kro490,

Sounds like a job for chromakey. Shoot your subject in front of a green screen. In post production, use your editor’s chromakey function to add a black&white image to the background.

(Search this forum for “green screen” or “chromakey” to get tips on how to do this.

Ken

Ryan3078
      Participant

If you have already filmed your footage, and don’t mind taking a good amount of time, you can accomplish this effect using AE. Create an adjustment layer, desaturate, then make a mask over your person. The background will have no color, while everything in your mask will be unaffected.

However, the greenscreen way will save you lots of time and frustration.

birdcat
      Participant

I have done this in Sony’s Vegas (I did it in version six but this works in all). Most NLE’s should be able to handle this.

You use a technique called rotoscoping which is described above for AE. It is a time consuming process (you probably don’t need masks for all frames but you will for a number of them – figure an average of about 7 or 8 per second which comes out to every three or four frames for NTSC). I have done this and it really is simple but tedious.

chuckengels
      Participant

Rotoscoping would work but will take forever, After Effects CS4 would make this much easier, but it can be done with two copies of the video and a Track Matte Key applied to one along with keyframing a matte. Still a lot of work but it is very doable πŸ™‚

EvaB14

If you are using After Effects first create a composition with the preset of your choice. You can select layer/new layer or use the keyboard shortcuts Cmnd/Y or Control Y, then click ok to create a solid. In order to see multiple colors on a layer you need to first apply a texture. I found the following information and guidance really helpful when I started to use different colour effect backgrounds. https://www.trainingconnection.com/after-effects/lessons/animated-colors.php

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best products of 2021

Best products of 2021

With so many great products this year, we've taken the time to review the best of the best. These are our picks for the best products of 2021.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.