Make subject color, and background black and white.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Make subject color, and background black and white.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

How can I make the person in my video clip in color and the background in black and white. I have adobe premiere and after effects. Thanks for any help!

Inactive

kro490,

Sounds like a job for chromakey. Shoot your subject in front of a green screen. In post production, use your editor’s chromakey function to add a black&white image to the background.

(Search this forum for “green screen” or “chromakey” to get tips on how to do this.

Ken

Participant

If you have already filmed your footage, and don’t mind taking a good amount of time, you can accomplish this effect using AE. Create an adjustment layer, desaturate, then make a mask over your person. The background will have no color, while everything in your mask will be unaffected.

However, the greenscreen way will save you lots of time and frustration.

Participant

I have done this in Sony’s Vegas (I did it in version six but this works in all). Most NLE’s should be able to handle this.

You use a technique called rotoscoping which is described above for AE. It is a time consuming process (you probably don’t need masks for all frames but you will for a number of them – figure an average of about 7 or 8 per second which comes out to every three or four frames for NTSC). I have done this and it really is simple but tedious.

Participant

Rotoscoping would work but will take forever, After Effects CS4 would make this much easier, but it can be done with two copies of the video and a Track Matte Key applied to one along with keyframing a matte. Still a lot of work but it is very doable πŸ™‚

If you are using After Effects first create a composition with the preset of your choice. You can select layer/new layer or use the keyboard shortcuts Cmnd/Y or Control Y, then click ok to create a solid. In order to see multiple colors on a layer you need to first apply a texture. I found the following information and guidance really helpful when I started to use different colour effect backgrounds. https://www.trainingconnection.com/after-effects/lessons/animated-colors.php

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap