Magix Video Pro X versus Final Cut Pro

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Magix Video Pro X versus Final Cut Pro

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Need some advice !

I’ve been working with Magix Movie Pro 14, and like it, but I’m ready to move up. I’m caught between moving into their new Video Pro X or getting into Final Cut Studio. Does anyone have experience with both ? What do you feel would be the best direction to go for Documentary work ? Thanks for any input.

Participant

Do you have a Mac or PC?

Participant

I went to the Magix site, and I could not read the system requirements, but it looks like PC only. So unless you have a Mac (or want to purchase one) I would think Magix or Vegas would be the way to go.

Please also be advised that while Final Cut and Macs are top drawer, they are also very spendy.

From the sound of it, I would advise you to upgrade your Magix; but also consider Sony Vegas Studio (or even Pro), because it will give you more room to grow.

Inactive

Thanks Norman, I have a PC at this point, butneed toupgrade the computer either way. So I would buy a Mac if Final Cut is worth the money in comparison.

Participant

I went from MEP to Pro x and found the transition eaiser than learning a new software package. Video Pro X, for me, was the best way to upgrade.

Inactive

Aspyrider, thanks for your input. There were three areas that both Magix Video Pro and Final Cut Studio have that I was hoping to compare. The ” Color ” adjuster, the new ” Sound ” editor, and the new ” Title ” editor. How do you like these areas in Video Pro ?

Participant

Hi Maka.

What you are about to enter is the old “Ford-Chevy” debate. Brace yourself. Or you might check out the thread, “Why is Final Cut So Popular”:

http://videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/why-is-final-cut-so-popular

It is not an easy question. Lots of people think Final Cut is it; but then Steve Jobs (Apple) is ill, and no one knows what will really happen once he steps down. People are already leaving the FCP team.

Sony cannot seem to get it together, to realize that they are sitting on the finest piece of software in the world, and so it continues to be plagued with bugs and a total lack of third-party coordination and support. Avid is the premiere editing interface in the world, but Avid just got bought out, and people are speculating whether the company will survive, or rebound. It has an enormous head start, but. Then there is speculation that Adobe is getting ready to be the new Avid, because they are quietly-but-steadily working convergence and integration of support harder than anyone else (with the possible exception of FCP…but who knows for how long).

Magix is brand new, and probably the pipsqueak of the bunch at the moment; but it appears to be logically put together, and it offerssome great features and design interfaces. People like it. VM did a very positive review on it. I am thinking of picking it up myself, if only for the ability to switch cameras. If they continue to invest and grow they probably have a pretty strong future ahead of them…but it all depends on what you like, and what you want.

>>I’ve been working with Magix Movie Pro 14, and like it, but I’m ready to move up.

If you like it, that is a good reason to stick with it; but if you are ready to move up, first ask yourself what you want to do, and how far you want to go. If you don’t want to buy a lot of third party stuff to integrate with it, then Sony Vegas is an excellent choice. If you do want to buy a bunch of stuff to integrate with it, then Vegas makes people pull what is left of their hair out.

I have one question, and one question-suggestion. What is your ultimate editing goal? And have youconsidered upgrading to Magix Pro first,and then transitioning to another NLE second?

I am digging deep in Vegas,but am getting disgusted with the lack of third party support (because Vegasdoes not talk with thethird party people), and amalready looking towards Premiere. Also to keep in mind is that Avid and Premiere will work on either a Mac or a PC, while Vegas and Magix only work on PC, and FCP (of course) only works on a Mac.

But you might read the Final Cut thread,just to see how it goes.

I sure hope that helps.

Norman

Inactive

Norman, yes, that does help. Thank you so much for taking the time to give a great overview and thank you for the link.

Participant

Go here, look up a member named cpc000cpc. He can answer those questions better than I. πŸ™‚

Participant

Hi Maka.

It occurs to me that you are also questioning which hardware platform.

Short answer is that if you go Mac you can do Final Cut Pro, Avid and Premiere/CS4. These are all the ‘big dogs’ at the moment. In contrast, if you go PC you can do Avid, Premiere, Vegas and Magix.

The PC combination is less money,and there is actually more software available. However,in order to avoid problems one basically has to dedicate the machine to video editing, and not load a lot of junk on it.I test everything on my laptop, and only when I am satisfied that it is something I really want do I install it on the workstation.

Mac is more money, but it is on average far less headaches. The machines cost more, but the third party integration is really good (at least for now). Some people do have bigproblems using Mac, but there are fewer of them, on average.

There are plusses and minuses either way. Again it all comes down to what you want, which of course is difficult to know when you have not worked with the software, and it takes time to get used to it.

Ford/Chevy: it is a big decision. I hope you make the right one for you.

Norman

Inactive

Aspyrider, thanks so much for the link, that will help a great deal.

Norman, thanks again for your wonderful input. Right now I feel like I’m in a ping pong match, and am not quite sure which side of the table I should be on, butI’m very grateful for these forums. What a wonderful way to share knowledge and ideas.

Participant

Hi Maka.

>>Right now I feel like I’m in a ping pong match, and am not quite sure which side of the table I should be on, butI’m very grateful for these forums.

You too, eh?

I do not know if you are a religious man, but even if you are not, it helps a lot to pray. That is how I get through it.

Participant

Vegas will work on a Mac with bootcamp

Participant

Hi Maka.

If I might offer one suggestion, please feel free to take it or leave it.

If I were in your shoes, I might consider upgrading to the pro version of Magix. That will give you some more functionality instantly, with a workflow you are already familiar with. Then after that I might also check into Sony Vegas. Despite all my complaints about lack of third party support (of which there are many), it is very easy to use, and offers a great deal of functionality. Just a thought.

I hope that helps.

Norman

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap