Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am jumping into the film making buiseness and need advice on buying the right Mac for my needs. Everytime I tell people I will be downloading videos for editing, I am told the Macbook Pro is the way to go. However, the only difference I have seen between the Pro and Macbook is that the pro has NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256 MB and the size of the screen. What exactly is NVIDIA and does it apply to my needs? Are there any other factors I am overlooking? So basically, can I save a little and go for the 2.4GHz macbook or should I buy the macbook Pro?

Participant

use the savings you get from the “Pro” and get the macbook as much ram as will fit.

My first gen macbook with 2 gigs of ram and a 7200rpm hd upgrades handles hi-def hdv just fine. as well as photoshop cs2.

the faster frontside bus and video card in the macbook pro will improve framerates on video games, and 3d modelling, but do little for editing photos, and video.

Participant

Yea, the NVIDIA thing is just a graphics card. The one in the macbook will be fine for video editing, but I wouldn’t bother trying to do any 3D compositing, like D0n implied.

When I first started back in 2005, I used a G4 iBook, and that was fine for me. Back then all I did was cut video though.

I would say my biggest concern when buying a laptop is having enough connections. Make sure you have enough firewire ports, USB and blah blah blah…ya know what i mean? But as far as a Macbook being able to handle cutting video, you should be fine.

Inactive

i’d stick with the macbook too; it’s always come through for me (though there have been times when i’d have liked the bigger pro screens)

Participant

Yea. It is nice to have a lot of screen space. I think the more advanced you become, the more screen space you’ll want. I have a 23in apple display and I’m looking into getting another one. I hate having to open and close windows. I’d rather have everything open at once. It’s not major, just aconveniencething.

Participant

yeah but adding a 23 cinema display to your macbook…. beats out buying the Pro…..

Inactive

yeah but adding a 23 cinema display to your macbook…. beats out buying the Pro…..

yup, that it does… i’d love a cinema display, but not in the cards for me right now

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap