Mac programs vs PC

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Just called Mac store and they claimed “I Movie” editing Program with upgrade Final Cut Express is all you need for editing. They compared this program to adobe premire with aftereffects with an easier learning curve. Anyone with knowlege of both programs please respond.
      thanks
      michael

Participant

digital video,

Upgrading from IMovie to Final Cut Express definitely gives you everything you need to edit a program. I will do similar to what Adobe Premiere or Avid would do. There are some limitations to Final Cut Xpress which is usually around $299. Mainly you will have to do a lot of rendering. It really doesn’t do what After Effects does even though it does a lot with effects. However, the Final Cut Pro Studio full version will be similar to what After effects can do because of the program called Motion included with Final Cut Pro Studio. Motion does advanced affects and compositing. The price is a lot higher around 1200 dollars.

Digital Video Wrote:

Just called Mac store and they claimed “I Movie” editing Program with upgrade Final Cut Express is all you need for editing. They compared this program to adobe premire with aftereffects with an easier learning curve. Anyone with knowlege of both programs please respond.
      thanks
      michael

Participant

I did alot of reading and research on the subject of mac and pc. Clock speed and not crashing go to mac, but programs,upgrades and price go to pc.I still believe it’s the same just go with what is easier for you. Another question why does hollywood use mac? I’ve looked at B&H at there high end systems and they look identical. Confused in the never ending debate.
      The main reason I’m looking at mac now is my wife(a photographer) uses pc photoshop 7.0. She can’t free up enough hard drive for the system to run without crashing. She saves ever wedding and photoshoot. She has already asked me when I’m getting my new computer.
      Michael

Participant

Digital video,

It’s really a preference thing. Just weigh out all the negatives and positves around each system and but what works best for your situation. I love usign Macs but like a lot of the cool software that comes out for PC’s. You can essentially do the sames types of things on both platforms but sometimes using different types of software. I use both and like what both have to offer. Have fun!

Digital Video Wrote:

I did alot of reading and research on the subject of mac and pc. Clock speed and not crashing go to mac, but programs,upgrades and price go to pc.I still believe it’s the same just go with what is easier for you. Another question why does hollywood use mac? I’ve looked at B&H at there high end systems and they look identical. Confused in the never ending debate.
      The main reason I’m looking at mac now is my wife(a photographer) uses pc photoshop 7.0. She can’t free up enough hard drive for the system to run without crashing. She saves ever wedding and photoshoot. She has already asked me when I’m getting my new computer.
      Michael

Inactive

nobody’s given a super direct answer here so…

imovie is similar in editing level to Micrsoft Movie Maker. In other words their both super simple, but also low in functionality for high-end users. If you’re only cutting together home movies then I-movie is better than its cousin (MMM).

Final cut express is the equivalent cousin to Avid Express or Premier Elements. (That evalution just caused several people to protest dramatically, but hey… It’s true). Avid Pro, Final Cut Pro, and Premier Pro are all at about the same level. There are several more video editing programs available for the PC in comparison to the Mac, so you’ll have a wider price list to work with (Pinnacle, Adobe, Avid, etc..).

If you’re already running a Mac for your wife’s Photoshop7 but she’s needing storage space you may want to consider buying her and external 300g usb hard drive, formatting the Mac specifically for her, and then focusing on your needs/wants as a video editor.

People who frequent these forums know that I advocate PCs pretty heavily. I do this because of their comparitive price and easy upgradability, as well as for the wider variety of software available to the Windows platforms. If you do some comparison shopping online you’ll find that you can buy a PC with all you favorite options in it for less than half the cost of a Mac with those same options. People on here state things like “macs are more stable”, that’s not really true. I use both Platforms one at work (mac) and one at home (PC). Both platforms have their ups and downs, dependent on use. I work in design and the Mac has only become the standard platform for graphic applictions for the simplifying of porting to clients, etc… However the Adobe products are now the standard graphic and video applications and they run (except PPro) on both platforms exceedingly well.

However, if you’re just a casual user, who thinks that the company-provided options are fabulous, and you only want a computer that can run your wife’s program and let you edit some home vids once in a while, since you’re not home very often anyways, then go ahead and pick a mac, ’cause they’re simple and easy to learn on and only have one mouse button.

My mouse has 6 buttons, and I like it that way… πŸ˜‰

Participant

Well I am looking to get new things and I ma waying my options heavely and I am goiing all out but I am trying to saem money.

I am not a windows fan toooo many problems. But I love PC. The best part about mac is you get a stable good OS that wirks well. but it will cost your firstborn.

I am looking at something that I am going to test here really soon.

Building a PC and putting Linux on it. For edeting you can optmize your system so well to get optimum performance. and Then puttin a programe in there called wine. This is not an emulater but it will let lynix run all windows programs. If you wan to learn about Wine go to

http://www.winehq.org/

I am going to be trying it with vegas and see how it runs,

Inactive

I’m just to darn lazy to try coding for Linux… Xp Pro works fine, and has been really stable for me. The last time I had instability problems with Windows was the “ME” version which even M$ knew was lame.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap