Mac for Video Editing

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am a lifetime pc user, but I finally have decided to break into the mac world. I want to learn how to use macs in general and Final Cut Pro before I go to film school in about 2 years. I want a simple mac that will run final cut pro with no problems. I am graduating high school this year, so I am looking for something very inexpensive, let me know what I should go with and if you have anything please send me a message. Thanks

Participant

Well first off, unless you have a "TRIAL" version of Final Cut Pro (Current version only comes as a compo with 4 other programs) you are going to pay at least $1,199 for the production suite. I would not recomment getting an older version than 5. FCP 6 in production suite 2.

From the MAC site it is $1,299.
      If you go to BH Photo Video you can get it for $1,199 with no shipping cost.

Regarding the MAC computer to use. I am new to mac as well but I assure you that if you are well versed in the PC you’ll pick up the mac fairly quickly.

With the software, if you’ve used Adobe Premier Pro or equiv software you’ll pick up FCP quickly.

If you do a search on the internet look for the software specs. That should tell you the minimum you will need to run it.

To put into perspective, I just bought a MAC pro for $4,110 with

2- Dual core processors,
        750GB HD,
        4 GB memory
        2 Nvidia video cards.

FCP still lags a little, but just a little but at least it does not crash every 5 minutes like windows. I can actually get some work done with this.

But I think you could get an iMac with a reasonable amount of memory and you should be fine.

Participant

My reccomendation would be to get a new PC, instead of a Mac. Get Adobe Premiere as well and you’re ready to edit! There are also more choices of video editing software such as Sony Vegs, Avid Liquid, Avid Xpress DV, Avid Xpress Pro.

Also, if you don’t mind, would you be interested in joining this forum?: http://www.delamarepro.com/forum/

Their forum just got running, and it would be nice, if they had more posters. There a many people there with a good understanding in filmmaking, so they can answer some of your questions.

Anyway, good luck with your computer purchase!

Participant

[quote="director958"]My reccomendation would be to get a new PC, instead of a Mac. Get Adobe Premiere as well and you’re ready to edit! There are also more choices of video editing software such as Sony Vegs, Avid Liquid, Avid Xpress DV, Avid Xpress Pro.

I am a student in digital video and from what I’ve been told and read, Final Cut Pro is what the schools are using as well as I’ve heard/read that it is most commonly used by those editing digital video professionally.

Could you please tell me why you advise purchasing a new PC instead of a Mac, as I am also a PC user considering buying a Mac? I don’t know a whole lot about this stuff.

thanks!

Participant

Well, I own a Mac, and in my opinion they are far superoir to PCs for video editing. In my opinion, I find FInal Cut Pro to be the best NLE out there. But people looking for Macs are usually trying to find inexpensive ones, and they try to but old and used ones. I don’t suggest this because an old mac isn’t very good (although it can be). A new Mac is prety expensive, so if your budget is low, I would suggest just getting a better PC. But if your budget is pretty flexible, then I reccomend a Mac all the way! If you have enough money, then get a Mac! They’re much better! But if you are on a tight budget, then just go with the best PC you can find, or maybe the best cheapest Mac you can find.

Hope I helped.

Participant

While still expensive, FC Studio costs $699 for a college student, via an education discount from Apple.

Participant

If you are just out of high school and are preparing for film school, I assume cost is important to you. An option that you might consider would be to purchase Final Cut Express 3.5 along with a current model iMac. The Express version of the program has all the functionality of the previous version of the full Final Cut suite with just a couple of features missing. FCE will run you less than $300, though Apple does sometimes run specials on this software. Look at the Apple Education Store for current discounts for students.

A new iMac along with a good external Firewire drive will get you editing at a pro level in no time and with a minimal investment. For external drives, I like Acomdata. They run cool and quiet. Some other major brands have heat buildup problems when editing for long periods of time.

Depending on the film school you attend, you are most likely going to either be working in Final Cut Pro or AVID. AVID has its own interface quirks but once you pick up Final Cut, you will be able to make the conversion fairly quickly. Using a Mac will allow you to learn both platforms since you can also run Windows on current Macs. Some versions of AVID are available for both Windows and Macs, but buying a Mac insures that you can run whatever you want, providing you have adequate memory and speed.

If you really want to stay with a Windows machine, look at Sony Vegas. The Movie Studio (lite) version of the program should be enough to get you going.

Good luck!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap