Mac and Canon HV30 compatability

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Just switched to Mac and have read a bit about HD video compatability with Final Cut Express or imovie 2008. I am eyeing up Canon HV30..but am not sure if there are any compatability issues.

MacWorld says HV30 & Mac are a good mix. Says iMovie will further compress the footage to make a smaller file size, so not only will it take more time to digitize (ingest) your footage, it will take iMovie longer to process it, and the quality will take a hit. That hit may or may not be relevant, depending on your desired outome in production.

MacWorld says it would be preferable to use the most powerful base Mac unit you can afford, and use Final Cut Pro. The magazine did, however, give the HV30 a four mice rating even though the article was primarily focused on non-tape camera models. The folks there were OK enough with the 30 that it got it’s own sidebar in the article. It records HDV to MiniDV tape.

Check it out, I think, by going to http://www.macworld.com and see if any of the articles from the November 08 issue are available.

Participant

Awesome..thanks Earl. I am running a MacBook Pro w/ 4G RAM with final cut express…perhaps i will repost my findings once I get the camera and start playing around with it.

Participant

that whole imovie compressing files is OPTIONAL. you can capture and edit full res, check the preferences on imovie.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Video Reference Monitor Buyer’s Guide

The best video monitors — 2020

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap