Low light – grainy footage question

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I shot a skit a couple of weeks ago using my Canon XL2. I only got the camcorder a couple ofdays before the shoot.The outdoors footage was great, the lit indoors footage was very good. One scene was in a dimly lit room with only one lamp going. The footage was very grainy and had a redish tint to it. I’m a newbie to video, any ideas?

Participant

you found your cameras limits for low light!

see my post in the other newbie thread….

Inactive

you found your cameras limits for low light! see my post in the other newbie thread….

not, of course, that that’s going to necessarily make you feel any better 😉

Participant
      Participant

if your camera was set to auto, it most likely boosted the gain. Boosting the gain too much creates grain and looks like crap.

to maintain control of everything, shoot with your camera set up so you can adjust settings manually.

If you don’t have enough light, then there’s no way around boosting the gain or slowing down the shutter speed. both look like crap.

Inactive

Thanks for the tips. I’m beginning to toy with the manual settings a little so I can be more comfortable with using the camera.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap