Low End Video Camera for Vidcast

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m experimenting with going video for my audio podcast.

I have to say that I’m an audio engineer and know very little about video. I’m hoping to tap into some of the expertise here before spending a lot of cash on the wrong equipment.

My goals are:

* Record about 7-15 minutes of video indoors from a static mount in my audio recording studio.

* The video will be posted to my site in the form of a Podcast, or vidcast.

* HD is not needed, and I would like to keep file sizes reasonable (20-50MB max?)

* I need a camcorder that can accept balanced or unbalanced audio from my studios feed.

* This is mostly an experiment: budget is very low ($200-$300)

* Video format is up in the air? Do I even need DV or is straight FW400 all that’s needed?

* This is a different topic, but what would you recommend for simple software to do very basic fade in/out, dissolves and chroma-key for a bug and tag line?
      I’ve been looking at Adobe Ultra 2 and Vlog. …also, looking at the best way to integrate the video into WordPress. Flash? Quicktime? Transcoding seems time consuming so I’d like to avoid it as much as possible.

I know this is a lot of area to cover. I appreciate any recommendations and thoughts on a camera and software.

Thank you for your time.

Inactive

Oops…
      One other thing I wanted to mention:

I absolutely love the huge ENG style camcorders. The newer, smaller cams are not for me, UNLESS FW400 is the only way to go.

Are there any old workhorses out there that might fit the bill? I remember the old Panasonic industrial models that used to be reasonably priced in their day for pro-sumer pieces.

Anyway, I have no problem with a 30 pound oldie from the ’80’s with muddy old composite and I actually prefer it to a CCD. Quality is not a factor by the time the vid is web-ready.

The cam will likely be bolted to the studio wall.

Inactive

I can recommend using DV, but in that price range the choices are limited.

Since you said the visual quality is not a high priority, consider using an MPEG camcorder. Some cheapies like this one can be found for around $125.

http://www.puredigitalinc.com/products/pandsvideo/learnmore.html

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap