Low Budget Tech Videos (Follow Up)

Anonymous (not verified)

Ok guys, about a month or two ago I posted up my first 3 quicky tech videos for cretique.

Here is the first one I ever did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llCvyymzBn4

After getting some feedback, watching some professional tech programs on TV, watching some behind the scenes footage of some movies and a LOT of shooting, reshooting, practicing, and reshooting I've finally gotten the next video done. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGg3UTxfSuk

Keep in mind this is being done on an almost non-existant budget. I will be getting a camera mic soon because I know that will be a big help on the audio. Budget for the microphone will be between $45-$75 I will put up another topic on the microphone before I purchase. What do you guys think?

H. Wolfgang Porter's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Mazda,

Much better! Some tweaks you need to take care of are;

1. Spell check your titles. 'Posative' is spelled with an 'i' not an 'a'
  2. You added close ups for when you point at specific items which is good, but you should do it for each instance.
  3. Since you're using a 'floating link' at the top of your image, you have to make sure you hold the described item closer to the bottom of the screen to avoid cutting off your subject at the top and presenting the viewer with wasted foreground space.
  4. Sound wise, the audio was much better for an in camera mic. Until you get an external mic, use felt or some other smooth but soft cloth to cover your display surface and hang blankets around the space your working in to absorb sound. Doing those things will help cut down on the 'hiss' and 'echo'.
  5. From the look of it, you're shooting interlaced video hence the funky artifacts around your hands when you move them. If you can't shoot progressive scan natively, use your nle software's 'deinterlacing' filter to help cut down on those artifacts.

Other than those tweaks you are well on your way. Already it looks and sounds so much more professional than your typical YTV. Good job.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

smythie's picture

Not much for me to say but, looks good to me, as was mentioned before, a couple more closeups where needed would be good. I didn't like the sound effects to the "shot title" i spose you would call it (comes in to centre from right to left then down ) but that's just my PP. Clear, informative clip overall. Good job!!

Gary

Plus Member Moderator

Mazda,

It would help considerably if you had a monitor, tv or small LCD screen to see where you are especially on a single-person shoot. In the meantime, you use a 'mark' just out of frame. Easiest is a couple pieces of old school masking tape one behind your subject so you know not to go past it and one just off screen so you won't go too far forward. Without a monitor, you'll have to tweak your measurements until you keep it in frame.

I didn't have a problem with the audio flourishes attached to your titles. Just stay consistent and don't get carried away with them.

No, thank the 'Production Gods' for people who do submit 'useful' material to YouTube instead of the Tsunami of garbage one can expect to see.

Keep it up. Mastering the basics is the hard part. Once you've got a handle on them, it will become obvious to you what will need to be improved upon.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Plus Member Moderator

Mazda,

Though I constantly read in the forums about 'how you don't need to go to school to learn how to do video', classes in basic video can help get past the little things like you're talking about.

First of all, the titles are actually a good component in the video. They signal to the viewer when you've moved onto another topic and identify what the topic is. Don't use titles as gimmicks as they get horrificly annoying fast. Also, when placing titles over live video for viewers who write from left to right, you only have two strong places and one semi-strong to put your titles where the viewer's eye is most attracted to. The strongest place is upper screen left as the eye starts reading from that point anyway. Next, is lower screen right as the eye ends in that region when scanning the screen. The semi-strong spot is center screen. The reason it's semi-strong is because you can only use it for a short amount of time because it interferes with the subject just behind it. The two weak spots on the screen are lower left and upper right as the eye is least attracted to those areas. If you ever do a 'lower third crawl', though the text is read from left to right, the motion of the crawl has to go from right to left in order for it to be successful.

Titles and graphics help break-up what could be another 'droning training video'. I've made enough of them to know long as you keep them consistent, don't get carried away with them and keep them in context with your subject they'll flow seamlessly with your program. You can't use gimmicks to cover 'the microphone buzz'. You have to fix it preferably in the field or at least in post.

Plus Member Moderator

Mazda,

As they say, 'knowledge is power'. Please, I've got more certifications and degrees than you can shake a stick at and I'm constantly learning just to keep up with the curve. These days, to grow in capability you must have a combination of book knowledge, practical training and hands-on experience to get the job done. Take the classes if you can. If nothing else, you may learn how 'not to do something'. Valuable info indeed.