Looking to purchase a new notebook for video editing only

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Looking to purchase a new notebook for video editing only

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi all, im new here and in dire need of some sound input before i make this purchase of a new notebook. I know alll about Macs and the wonders and how it is the best for video editing, but i just purchased adobe production suite the newest version. I want a good pc with strong ability to handle the applications associated with adobe production ive decided on the
      dell inspiron E1705 BUT HAVENT purchased it just yet. I would love to know if you all think this specs out and is sound purchase for editing.

intel core duo processor(1.73ghz/533mhz/2 x 1mb l2 cache)
      120gb hd
      2 gb ram
      dvd rw/r
      and some other mentionables but those are the main things….anyone have one or would recommend anything other than this…my budget is NO MORE than 1600 right now.thanks for the HELP!!

Participant

When I suggested that, I did sort of have a picture of a news van kinda thing in my head!

But you could do this: get a small form factor case and lcd monitor. Mount then on the underside of the trunk lid, so when you open the trunk they pop out into fresh air. If you design them with good cooling (I can help you with that if you want), then you’ll be fine even in 100 degree weather, as CPU’s can withstand much higher temperatures (60-70 Celsius). It might look kinda goofy on the bottom of the trunk lid, but it could work. Of course, a setup in the back seat or passenger seat, where you could turn on the AC for your own comfort, probably would be a better option.

Participant

ummmm could reallllly use some intelligent feedback and no snide smartazz remarks…im a vet in this and just trying to confer with other vets who could sway me towards mac in the price range i have or pc….geez u all are a lil clique’ish hunh?

Participant

Go with a Mac Book/Mac Book Pro you can run windose and the Adobe bundle as well as the Mac OS so that you will have the option to move over to FCP if you need/want to. Or if you just get tired of the problems that running windows cause. A dell cannot run OS X but a Mac book can run Windows so if you want to be versitle go with the Mac.

Inactive

I think it’s unfair that Windows gets such a bad rap. For over two years now, I’ve been running the Adobe Production Suite on an HP laptop with half the specs of the one you’re looking for (1.25 GB RAM, single-core 2.8 GhZ) and I haven’t had a single freeze-up or crash. If you use your Dell laptop just for video work and keep it virus- and spyware-free, I don’t see why you’d have any problems. And from what I’ve read, the Apple Boot Camp that lets you run Windows on a Mac is quite buggy.

Participant

SuperSteve Wrote:

I think it’s unfair that Windows gets such a bad rap. For over two years now, I’ve been running the Adobe Production Suite on an HP laptop with half the specs of the one you’re looking for (1.25 GB RAM, single-core 2.8 GhZ) and I haven’t had a single freeze-up or crash. If you use your Dell laptop just for video work and keep it virus- and spyware-free, I don’t see why you’d have any problems. And from what I’ve read, the Apple Boot Camp that lets you run Windows on a Mac is quite buggy.

U know thats what i heard as well that the new intel based apples arent all kinked out…still has a few kinks. Well i am going to take your advice and stick with my choice. Thanks!!

Participant

compusolver Wrote:

I think that harddrive looks anemic. One big project could easily need 120gig. Are you sure you need a laptop? You’ll get more flexibility and more for your money with a desktop.

Well the thing is id liek to be mobile and would invest ina 250 gb external drive for about 250 bucks. But yes its not HUGE at all for that price and i think the max in any laptop/notebook is 250 gig maybe(not sure)…but i really do think this is the way i just may go…the only other option i thought of was with my budget buy a G$ and get final cut version 4 i think? i mean i have a canon xl1 its still mint and not going to be doing too much with HD so its not like im toooo worried bout missing too much and not being able to pump some quality footage and edited material with a 2-4 year old set up

Inactive

ummmm could reallllly use some intelligent feedback and no snide smartazz remarks…im a vet in this and just trying to confer with other vets who could sway me towards mac in the price range i have or pc….geez u all are a lil clique’ish hunh?

When I saw the first post, I was contemplating giving an answer, until I saw this post.

FandF, This is a slow board, and some of us have multiple jobs that prevent us from being here every second of the day. Please, next time, wait more than 30 minutes before you accuse this site of being "clique’ish". I can say, as the new guy on the block, that this isn’t so. Hank, RAM, and the others who’ve been here eons longer than I have been most welcoming to me. And everyone will be welcoming to you, if you give them the chance. I know sometimes there are urgent deadlines, but in those cases, a message board isn’t likely to do a lot of good. If the money’s just burning a hole in your pocket and you need to spend it, patience is a great virtue one can learn from a message board. Also, as one small side comment, I can’t stand leet speak, and I don’t view it as a professional manner of communication on the ‘net. I’ll tolerate it on cell phones, but unless you’re using a 9-digit number pad to post online, I can’t see any reason to use it "professionally". There, got that out of my system just in time! πŸ˜€

But seriously, on to your topic. The laptop you mentioned looks tolerable. As Hank mentioned, the hard drive is going to be useless to you, so hopefully you’ll have two firewire ports on this thing, one for the camera and one for the hard drive. Some USB 2.0 hard drives are fast enough for editing, but I’ve also had bad luck with them in the past.

Aside from that, again, as everyone has asked, do your really NEED a laptop? Yeah, a laptop editing station is great, but here are the things to keep in mind

-Upgrading a laptop is expensive, and will only go so far (e.g. you can’t swap motherboards and processors outside of a very narrow class)
      -RAM costs more
      -Less onboard capacity
      -More expenive
      -You’ll still need to plug in a keyboard and mouse if you want a realistically usable interface
      -Servicing laptops can leave you without a PC for weeks if you have to ship it to the manufacturer for repair.
      -Gets outdated much quicker.
      -Requires purchase of special peripherals that are much cheaper for desktop installations.

And the list could go on. Don’t get me wrong, having a laptop for editing is wonderful. I have a little old sub-1Ghz Toshiba I use when couples want a same-day highlights. The computer is old and slow, but it does the trick.

My advice would be to spend about $1000 on a nice desktop PC. You’ll get everything you need for that price. Then, spend the last $600 on a simple laptop that would allow you to take projects mobile if you have to. Or better yet, put the $600 into savings, and when you get another $600-$700, get that laptop of your dreams.

For editing, having a mobile solution is great, but unless yu have a very specific need for it, it’s a waste of your money. For the same price as a laptop you could buy twice the power on a desktop. If you really want "mobile", you could even buy a fairly expensive UPS unit, and you’d still be under the cost of a laptop, and again, you’d have more power. Maybe if you could explain why you need a portable solution, we could help you out more. Honestly, even for ENG work, you could still edit the video back home, unless you’re looking for a way to broadcast from the location, in which case you’ll need at least another $4000 worth of equipment, and at that point, you’ll need a truck to mount it all in anyway, so a laptop is once again pointless.

I’m not trying to be a pain. I just want to understand where you’re coming from on this. Honestly, I don’t get it.

Welcome to the site, enjoy your time here.

Participant

I’m big into computers myself (studying about them along with film at school). Take it from me: even the best laptop still won’t have the power of a desktop. Desktops have more power, more versatility, and more options for cheaper price. You could even get a small form factor desktop, with an EE AMD x2 3800+ and it’s suddenly not much more weight than a heavy laptop.
      The UPS idea is a good one: They make ones for a few hundred that last 2+ hours!

Here’s another thought: get a power inverter for your car, and set up a desktop in the back seat or trunk. Then, it’s mobile in the fact that it’s in your car and is powered off that. A lot cheaper solution, and more power for your money while still maintaining portability.

But, if you really want a laptop, that one will work, albeit slower than a desktop you can buy with that money, and the harddrive, as previously stated is small for editing.

One last thing: a 250GB external for 250 is not a very good deal. You should be able to find one much much cheaper than that.

Cheers!

Inactive

My 6-7 year old Sony VAIO desktop is getting old (it’s never been online, so it still runs great… just a bunch of little things that are slowly going…)
      I was also considering a laptop since the company I do most of my corporate videos for constantly ask for changes on material they already okayed… I’m sure some of you guys know how that is… their office is an hour from me, so I was thinking to get a laptop to make the changes to the video there in front of them, then just give them the DVD on the spot, as opposed to multiple meetings and multiple commutes… these people are just really frustrating (I’m in the middle of a project with them now, if you couldn’t tell…).
      But the idea of a desktop in the trunk of the car sounds really cool, I didn’t think of doing it like that. I’ll let you know my new set up when I eventually get one…
      -Chris

Inactive

The problem you’ll run into with a "trunk mount" is going to be heat. Up to a certain point, your computer will still operate normally in heat, but in a metal box like the trunk of your car, the heat would melt a processor the first time it started rendering. If you have a darker colored car, which would absorb more energy (i.e. "heat") then this problem only gets worse. imagine putting your computer in your home oven, turning the temp up to 200, and letting yur computer sit in there all day. That’s essentially what you’d be doing here. That’s why you don’t see too many dark colored news vans parked out on the street on a hot august day with the power off. Ya gots to keep them computers cool.

That being said, with your problem with the folks who just keep making changes, collect all yur money from them, and ship them the final project. If they don’t like it, and the errors are not your fault (i.e. typos, etc), then they need to re-hire you to make revisions, at your going rate. They will also need to pay the cost of having more duplicates made.

I ran into that problem once. I sent them a video, and they wanted this changed, I re-sent it, and now they don’t like the transition in one spot. When I got the videos back from them, I told them I wouldn’t do any more free revisions, and if they wanted any changes made after my second revision, it’d be $75 per hour (two hour minimum) plus $15 per Video/DVD. Not suprisingly, they were very content with my second revision. πŸ˜‰

Inactive

I was thinking to have the computer be removable from the back… I’ve got a Subaru wagon and would have wires, power, etc. built in to the car (I also work at a custom install store, so I’ve got knowlegable friends who could help). Then if I needed to be portable, bring the CPU and flat panel and plug them into the car. It might be too much work now that I’ve actually re-read what I just wrote… I guess I’ll just stick with the laptop.

And On A Roll, as for charging for the changes — thanks for the advice! I’m definitley taking notes on this! I’ll let them know about extra fees for all these revisions…

Inactive

Just remember, if you’ve already given them changes, you shouldn’t charge them for those. But you can let them know that for future revisions, you’re off the original agreement.

Also, and this is really a given, make sure your work is done when you give it to them. Don’t give them something that you think isn’t perfect and then make them pay extra to get it right. But if you’ve picked over the video and you think it’s flawless, then you canhonestly be done with it.

I like to be accomidating. I almost always throw freebies into wedding packages, and I’m more than happy to make changes when the couple is sincerely happy but they just want a small change. But some people will never be happy, and you can waste a lot of time and energy on them, and in the end they’re still going to tell their friends you’re not that hot. Those folks get my "in-n-out" special. I go in, film, edit, make it look nice, and then I’m outta there. I’ll take their money, but after that I take my distance from them.

Ah, ya gotta love human relations!

Participant

Hey Jim (and all you pros)

Great advice. What % of your wedding clients are like that (disgruntled, nothing makes them happy)? Sounds kind of scary!

Beth

Inactive

Eh, not that many. I’ve had a couple in my day, but usually it’s not the bride and groom themselves, but some uptight member of the family (usually a father) who knows what’s best. But there are the bridezillas now and again, though they usually just make you miserable before and during the wedding, and afterwards are a bit more relaxed.

Don’t worry too much, most folks are just peachy. When you find those odd ones, like I said, just drill out their video and be done with them, as they’ll never be happy.

Participant

That’s great — making the client happy and for me, the great creativity are perfect reasons to go into this business (and great debt LOL).

Oh yeah, BTW — got my first wedding today!! It’s in November so maybe I’ll have enough time to do well. [b]Can’t wait [/b]until the training DVDs come out, but I won’t mention them again πŸ˜€

You guys are so awesome!
      Beth

Inactive

Well congrats Hank! πŸ˜€ Who’s your videographer? I have great rates, and I’m willing to travel! πŸ˜€

But seriously, like I said, in the end, the couple will virtually always be happy. I’ve had a couple who asked me to make some changes, but after that were very happy.

My favorite ones are the ones where you mail the DVD’s to them, and a few days later, you get a phone call, with the bride practically crying telling you how beautiful the video is. I like those calls πŸ™‚

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors β€” 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap