Looking for inexpensive camera for general use as well as ski slopes

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Other Camcorders Looking for inexpensive camera for general use as well as ski slopes

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi folks.
      I’m looking to buy a camera for general use as well as for use when snowboarding/filming others on the slopes. I’m not looking to spend a ton of money. Right now the two cameras I am considering are the Kodak zi8 and the canon fs200. Which do you think is a better choice for my purposes? Or do you have another suggestion?
      I’m leaning towards the Kodak Zi8 but the fact that it has no optical zoom is kinda a turn off… I realize that it’s a point and shoot, but I honestly can’t tell too much of a difference from footage I’ve seen online. But that’s why I’m posting here, because you all will definitely know more about any of this than myself.
      By the way, I’ve got a Macbook Pro with both iMovie and Final Cut, just to clarify.

Thanks!

Inactive

Whenever I am faced with a decision between two products and am stuck, what helps me is to then look past the products and on to the company. Kodak, for example, is a photo company who is having some financial trouble because they waited to long to jump into the digital game. Meanwhile Canon is one of the largest manufacturers of both photo and video gear in the world, and its products have been used on many recent digital features in the last two or so years. I know it seems nit-picky but when the products can’t stand alone for a decision, that is where I go.

Also, you make a good point about the OZ, if the Kodak relies on a digital zoom, then all you will end up with is a choppy, pixelated picture, and no one wants that.

I would also look into warranties. If you are going to be on the slopes, odds are the batteries are going to live short lives because they don’t like cold, at some point you WILL fall down (we all do it, doesn’t matter how good you are). So see which one will likely be replaced in the event that you need it. For what you are doing that might be the most important thing to look at.

Participant

Ah, good insight, thanks! And excellent point about the warranty. Thanks a bunch!

• Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2020

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look...
    homicide-bootstrap