Looking for help on a music promo video – how to?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Looking for help on a music promo video – how to?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey everyone, I was asked to do a promo for a studio in town here. I was planning on there being a bit more narrative so I could add some b roll while speaking – but it is what is is and I left the narrative alone. I have a couple other clips on either side of this – but really looking for tips and ideas of what I could do to make this better. This is a newer area for me and looking for the input of all the wonderful people here at VM! Here is what I have so far: http://youtu.be/VcVY206y6GU

Participant

I’d “Glam” thing’s up and show like “teaser” footage of a music video instead of studio footage during the music then when you drop it to the background, have your talent in a bit more involved studio atmosphere.

This is a commercial application where you are trying to sell something. The only thing that told me you were trying to “Sell” was the talent, the video didn’t do that.

Participant

Unfortunately there is no music video – yet, She is from about 1000 miles away and staying here just to do the album so there won’t be much time for anything outside the studio. What would you suggest to make her more involved?

I DID make a 2nd version which cut down the beginning and end significantly as it seemed a bit onlg on each side. Not sure what to squeeze “b”roll style into a short video like this. I will upload version 2 in a minute.

Thanks for the help and any other in advance!

Participant

“<span>What would you suggest to make her more involved?”</span>

B roll in the studio. Show her singing and running some equipment as B roll while she’s talking but since there is no time for outside footage that’s not going to work real well. Only you know what you have to get creative with around the studio. Best you can do in that situation is run tape from dawn to dusk and as many cameras as you can and see what develops to work with.

Participant

Here is what I did for the first video – I just chopped a lot of the beginning and end:

This was the first real behind the scenes video I did in a short time today. It is short and sweet and hope to get a few of these up per week as the album progresses. Any other ideas?

Thanks again in advance

Participant

Doublehamm, I am a little confused, are you promoting the artist or the studio? The footage is pretty good but I would make the cuts just a tad quicker for the promo video. The behind the scenes shots are too static to me anyway. If she does any live shows in the area, I would get some footage from them and tie it into the behind the scenes shot, just a suggestion.

Participant

Really liked what you did with the Making Of vid – Cutting to the beat makes it easy to watch and enjoy.

If you’re looking for what to do for the full music vid, think out what the story of the song is, then envision the images needed to convey that story and either film them or find stock to suit (for the hard to get stuff, like aerials).

Chuck Peters had a series of really good short production tutorials called “Field of View” -This one says it better than I ever could when it comes to telling a visual story: http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/detail.aspx?sid=117

Participant

There are really no plans yet of doing a full music video. She drove about 1000 miles to come here to record and stay and that is what is pretty much going on full time. I just grabbed what I could without being too intrusive and making the videos too long.

Charles, I think you are right on the static shots after I watched it a few times. I will try to do something with quicker cuts and still trying to keep each of these videos down to under a minute in length.

I will check out the digital juice article!

Participant

It is also a promotion for both the studio and artist, if that helps.

Participant

only watched the first video. suggestions: tight shots of the LED’s jumping in time to the music track, shots of hands moving the faders when a different instrument comes in (or not but movement) Start her speaking part under the B-roll and then cut to her. the shots you have are okay, a bit shaky, and the shot in the vocal booth is unlevel. I realized some studios can be tight. I will be working on one for my brother in law’s studio, though he’s got space, had a 16 piece orchestra in there. (I did not shoot that footage but he wants to use it).

who is engineering the session? shots of the engineer and the rest of the studio will help sell the studio, but as it stands it seems to soley be a vehicle for the artist.

does she play an instrument? who recorded the backing tracks, are are they canned? shots of those players etc… basically everything that goes into a recording, faster cuts, with the beat, and movement. hope that helps.

Participant

It’s not an article – It’s one of about a dozen short video’s Chuck did (he’s not just a vid wiz he’s a really nice guy as well) – Taught me huge amounts about the craft I love. I even bought the series on DVD (in case they disappear from online), that’s how good they are.

Inactive

Doublehamm, I have absolutely no experience with making a promotional video so take anything I say with a grain of salt but as a business owner and a consumer I think by trying to promote both studio and artist in the same promo you are maybe working at cross purposes. The studio promo would be much better if it showed a variety of artists using their services. As it is it looks like they have only one client, now this may well be the case but your promo shouldn’t show that. Even if you have to hire some backup singers to shoot some B roll of other people using the studio I think it would go a long way to help the promo.

As for the artist, maybe get her glammed up in some clothing that she would wear on stage and shoot some greenscreen footage of her “performing”. You can add background and lighting effects etc in post production.

Like I said I have no experience so I may be way off the mark.

Participant

There are other artists. There are even other videos that have been done in the past. First was 4 videos I did last fall the day I met the producer/engineer. They were last minute notice and tried interview style with artists interviewing each other. Unfortunately with only one handheld mic it was tough to watch and eventually we took those videos down. I have done a couple other last second videos – it seems tha’ts how this guy works – and nothing real stellar. If you really want to look over the videos you can, but they are far worse than what I did the past couple days.

With this artist not being from the area – and staying at the studio until completion – there is more time to get a more in depth look at what is going on – so I am trying to see what I can do to make it look good! I will keep all suggstions in mind. Thanks!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap