Looking for help.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

HI. Everyone.

My name is Emery and I live in Santa Clarita, Ca zip.91350 L.A county.Iwould like to start a video production company where I can make commercials for small business is(like restaurants, beauty saloons, real estate companies, attorneys, etc)so they can up lode the video clip to they web site.

I’m very novice to videoproduction. Unfortunately at this moment I don’t even know whatcamcorder I should buy, (the more reviews, articles I read about the subject the more confused I’m) or should I get a camera (I like NIKON D7000.) I’m willing to spendabout $800-$1500. Here is a few camcorders that I looked into. SONY HDR-XR550.> SONY HDR-CX550V> SONY HDR-HC9> PANASONIC HDC-HS700> JVC HD EVERIO GZ-HM1> SAMSUNG HMX-S16>>I’m also looking for someone who can recommend me a good basic editing software. I willing to pay some onewho cangive me a few hours of lesson how to use the software. phone#805 208 7825. e-mail euroimpexp@aol.com

Thank you.

UDV, while jumping in the business can work, it doesn’t work for everyone, nor for most. Without knowing the extent, if any, of your video background or knowledge (you say you want to START a video production company) I’d have to advise that you first do some serious soul-searching into where you are, where you’re going and what you’re going to do when you get there.

I am a strong supporter of “just do it” and jumping in and getting your feet wet, believing that total immersion is a successful technique – but I also will not simply dive into a rock quarry swimming hole or a raging river without first determining what lurks beneath the surface. Same with entering the video business.

That being said: Videomaker Forums is the best first place to start in seeking info. OK, you’ve done that. But check into the many helpful programs and articles and information found in abundance here. Research the many forum posts on cameras, equipment, editing programs and computer formats. The answers are all here. Certainly not a customized unique response to your specific or special needs, but all the information you seek is already here at the touch of a search word or three.

Cameras? Canon has a wide, varied and wonderful array of camcorders that can fulfill your production needs. I would begin with the Canon VIXIA HF S21 HD and work my way (up or down) from there. Though tape-based, the previous iteration, Canon’s HV40 is an excellent production unit.

Others are going to pipe in here with all sorts of other preferred brands, models and essential reasons why their choices are the best for you – but that’s once again going to perplex you. As you’ve stated, the more you read … the more confused …

You’re simply going to have to make a decision based on your budget and camcorder availability and stick with it until you’ve found you made a GREAT choice, or can do better with more money and further research and experience. But the recommended units above will point you in a good production direction. Once, of course, you’ve learned to use them to their best advantage, how to shoot, how to edit, how to market, etc.

Regarding marketing to your preferred customers, there’s much information about marketing at blogs such as In The Viewfinder, by Jay Michael Long; E.C. Come, E.C. Go, by Earl Chessher and a host of newcomers recently coming onboard here. These are great places, and those you’d find by doing a Google search for blogs, video production or blogs, video marketing, etc.

Many here might/will offer some degree of mentoring, or “lessons” of one level or another on a huge assortment of preferred editing systems. And here as well the suggestions will be many and varied, all based on either opinion or real-life experience. I would tend to lean more toward suggestions made by those who actually use and utilize the systems they recommend.

There is NO perfect solution, or easy-to-learn approach. It all takes experimenting and experience. You will simply have to pay the price in mistakes or “oops” moments until you get hang of what you’re doing.

Good luck to you. From Earl in Sunny Southern California – Orange County. By the way, the market you want to pursue is a valid and viable one. If you develop a solid work ethic and provide GREAT services/products in a timely manner, and can offer assistance in getting your videos uploaded and maintained, you will develop a following, repeat and referral business that will support you, a family, buy toys and fund your retirement. All you have to do is hang in there, work the program and not give up.

Participant

UDV –

In addition to what Earl has advised, you cannot forget the other things that will enable you to make the kinds of video you are looking to do.

You already know about the editing piece (or at least know you need that) and there are many options available to you (PC or Mac, Final Cut Pro vs. Adobe Premiere Pro vs. Sony Vegas Pro vs. Avid Media Composer vs. dozens more) – You need to research this very carefully and try each (most if not all have free trial versions) balancing functionality and ease of use (for you) against price.

Also do not forget you will need a pretty extensive royalty free library – Video, Photos, Illustrations, Music – Before I went pro I had amassed a library of these things costing me many thousands of dollars – You can find reasonably priced stuff (Digital Juice, SmartSound, FootageFirm, etc…) but even those can add up.

Another thing to consider is support software – like Adobe After Effects, titling software (I like Bluff Titler but have others as well), Sorenson Squeeze, Particle Illusion, Zaxwerks ProAnimator, many others.

Good Luck

Participant

I started out doing weddings, with still photography. Then added video to our product line. Now I’m producing, filming editing a handful of 5 min how to clips/ month, for a national magazine here in Canada.

I do everything from the lighting to the filming editing and sound including music.

Trust me… one 5 min clip per week can easily become a full time job in itself.

You need to start by making a business plan. If it were as easy as “buy this camera and go” everybody would be doing it. But if you have a plan… it is possible.

Good luck to you.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2021

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap