Looking for answers on purchasing monitors for video editing

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Looking for answers on purchasing monitors for video editing

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Here is my set-up.. I’m looking for some sugestions on what monitors to get..

Computer

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard

ASUS EN7900GT/2DHT/256M Geforce 7900GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor

Crucial Technology Ballistix 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory TOTAL 2gb

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive ( STORAGE DRIVE ).

2 Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drives ( RUNNING IN RAID 0 Config )

2 SAMSUNG 16X DVDR DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black ATA/ATAPI

Antec Performance I P180 Silver 0.8mm cold rolled steel for durability through the majority of chassis, 1.0mm cold rolled steel around the 4x HDD area ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I’m looking to do a dual lcd monitor setup for this machine but really don’t know the first thing about LCD’s and what I’m looking for..

Thanks

Rich
      Outer Limit Graphics

Inactive

Cool .. That’s the info I’m looking for.. so when shopping for a LCD what is the things I’m looking at .. Resonse Time, etc. what is better..

I wasn’t sure I could get one widescreen and one not.. I had a friend build this PC and so far it has far exceeded my expectations.. I just need to get down to the details of hardware and some better editing software

Rich
      Outer Limit Graphics

Inactive

I use 2 Acer 17" LCDs (I think the AL1716). Use one for just my NLE timeline/interface and the other for other tools and project media bins. Using one monitor for the GUI and the other for the extra tools works GREAT and saves LOTS of time (with minimizing and such). I use this setup for After Effects, Encore and Vegas all the time. Avid also works well with the dual monitor setup (although I’ve become attached to Vegas and have since used Avid less and less)

Inactive

I agree, Acer’s AL17xx series is great. I use the AL1722r, it’s affordable and good quality too.

Inactive

Question you guys!

I look at ads all the time for these LCD monitors and they always list a contrast number there. 400:1, 600:1… ect

What are they actually refering too?

Is 700:1 better than 400:1 or is it the otherway around.

Right now I have a huge 21" Sony CRT that works very well for me but it does take up a lot of room. I was looking into changing over to a duel set-up too.

RAM

Inactive

The higher the value, the better. Acer 1722r for instance has a 700:1 contrast ratio, most TFT’s come with 400:1 from what I know.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap