Looking for an editing program

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m looking to buy an editing program, but I’m just not sure what to get. I have experience with Premiere Pro, and I feel pretty comfortable using that, but I don’t know if I should stick with that or go with something else. What’s the big differences between Premiere Pro and Elements? I’m not looking to spend a lot right now. I basically use it for wedding videos and short films that I do and other little projects that I work on for friends. I’m also looking for something with good quality and somewhat easy to use dvd authoring. I’ve used Encore DVD and I don’t really like it. And I don’t know if this is a problem with Encore, but everytime I burn my video to a dvd, the color is super bright. All the whites almost bleed into the other colors. I don’t know enough about Encore to know if I can adjust that, but I’d rather just get a program that has it all bundled together with the editing and not have to worry about separate programs. I’d appreciate the comments, thanks,

Lee

Inactive

take a look at vegas + dvd

it might take you a while to get used to, but the program is solid and the community support is great.

John

Participant

I think Vegas is more complicated than Premiere. I’ve never used Elements before, just Premiere Pro, but I would say you get what you pay for. Elements is $100 and PP is around $600 or so. As far as dvd authoring I have Encore but have yet to use it (or learn it). I do know that with cheaper dvd authoring software your not going to have the control to customize your dvd as much, your kinda at the mercy of the pre-programed templates. If you are fine with that than by all means get what you need. I plan on doing alot of short and full length films so making my stuff look pro is very important to me, but if your just looking for more of a hobby than something like Elements should do just fine.

Participant

heatohio Wrote:

I think Vegas is more complicated than Premiere.

My experience is exactly the opposite. I never could get the hang of the Premiere interface, and I got tired of it crashing on every project.

Vegas started with no baggage. The user interface was developed from a clean slate. They didn’t try to emulate film editing or the first-generation linear editing. As a result, the interface, while different, is logical. Some would say non-standard, but who gets to define what a standard user interface is?

And there’s at least two ways to do everything in Vegas.

(By the way – Vegas never crashes).

Steve Mann

Participant

I might try to find a demo of Vegas to try out. I’m used to PP right now, and I don’t think I’ll have trouble learning something new. I just want something that will let me edit, add transitions, do sound editing/correcting, titles, stuff like that. And then Vegas+DVD sounds good cause it has the dvd authoring with it. I don’t mind having a separate program for dvd’s, as long as it does some nice things. With Encore, I can’t figure out how to do any time of motion transitions between menus, or even fades or wipes that happen after you click on a button. Thanks for the info so far. I’m starting to learn FCP right now on my school’s Mac. I’m just reading thru some of the documentation right now, but it seems like a good program, just not financially within my reach yet.

Participant

You can get a 30-day demo at:
      http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp

You can also buy the ‘studio’ version for $89 which has all the features of the full-blown Vegas+DVD, but it’s limited in the number of tracks and comes with fewer codecs.

The demo also uses the Microsoft codecs, and not the good ones that you buy with Vegas+DVD.

Note that Vegas started out as a sound editor.

DVDA version3 is pretty powerful, but somewhat raw. The problem with DVD authoring is that the DVD spec itself is rather limiting. So, yes you can do motion-based transition menus in DVDA3, but it takes a bit of work. You see, there’s nothing like a “transition menu” in the DVD spec. So how does Hollywood do it? The menu page background can be an MPG movie, and when it ends, you can link to a static menu and activate the buttons. It works the same going the other way, when you press a button, the action would take you to your transition movie, and when it ends, you start the menu selection.

Steve Mann

Inactive

i’ve been working with Adobe products since photoshop 3 and premier 5.1.

In the beginning they had a lot of hardware conflicts and stuff, but the PP1.5 suite and CS2 suites have worked like a breeze for me.

It’s all personal preference too.

Inactive

Sony’s Vegas has advanced a lot and is cheaper than Adobe. I suggest you take a look at the trial version.

Inactive

There is no such thing as one software is more complicated than the other. Use the one you feel more comfortable with.

Ive used Premiere for a while. Good software, but I wasnt able to edit videos recorded on my digital photo camera, so I tried Vegas. It worked fine and since then I have adopted it.

Vegas seems to be a little more user friendly than Premiere, which has a more professional look, in my opinion.

Inactive

I agree with you virtualvideomaker…… i have been using PP1.5 since the earlier version of Adobe Premier….. and it was a good editing software indeed. The reason I switched to Sony Vegas 5 then 6 , is that Sony Vegas does’nt crash on any of my important project , while PP1.5 do experienced some crash. So i have to choose which software is stable on my project.

Inactive

svhs Wrote:

Sony’s Vegas has advanced a lot and is cheaper than Adobe. I suggest you take a look at the trial version.

i have that trail version but its asking me for a registration. how can i find that so i can try it out?

Participant

One nice thing about premiere is that even though it has little industry support (most premiere users are indi) It’s interface does favor Final Cut Pro which makes the transition easy if you get a job at a place which uses FCP.
      Really though whether it is FCP Premiere Avid or Vegas they are all roughly the same.

Participant

danumber2 Wrote:

i have that trail version but its asking me for a registration. how can i find that so i can try it out?

You just ignore the registration and it works in demo mode.

Participant

Sony also has many versions of Vegas – If you are doing less complicated pieces, their Vegas Movie Studio may be fine for you (I think it’s limited to a total of ten tracks vs. full Vegas having unlimited). It’s almost as robust as the full package for less than $100.

I started with the Movie Studio line and moved up to Vegas+DVD.

I am not a rocket scientist and had (have) a real hard time with almost all Adobe products (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc…). If I can get proficient in Vegas, anyone can. Plus there are scads of free tutorials around and the support on the official Vegas Forums is amazing!

Bruce

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap