Looking for a video camera

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi there.

My friend is looking for a dedicated video camera.

I think he needs a semi proffesional camera like what wedding shooters use.

He wants XLR inputs. no cutting off recording at 4GB like SLRs, built in shotgun mic, depth of feild,

Any ideas?

Will – Does he want a large sensor camera withshallow depth of field like a DSLR? Or a small sensor camera with deep depth of field, like a traditional camcorder?

If he wants the former, I recommend the Sony NEX-FS100, if his budget supports it. XLR inputs, unlimited video clip length, comes with a shotgun, shallow depth of field. $4650 body-only, used at Adorama.

If he wants the latter, I recommend the $2000 Canon XA10 with a $177 Audio Technica AT875R shotgun mic. XLR inputs, unlimited clip length, deep depth of field. If he wants a camcorder that comes with a shotgun, I recommend the $2500JVC GY-HM150.

Cheers,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Hi Bill. Thanks for your reply. Yes the JVC is more what he’s after I think. Does it have a shallow depth of field and take XLR inputs and film at 1080 30 fps and 720 60 fps?

Will – sadly, the JVC has deep depth of field, not shallow, because it is a traditional small sensor, non-interchangeable lens camcorder. It has XLR inputs and does shoot 1080/30p and 720/60p, however. Here is a short film made with the HM150 and its predecessor, the HM-100:

The lowest cost large sensor, shallow depth of field camcorder with XLR inputs is the Panasonic AG-AF100 ($3625 used at Adorama). It shoots 20 different progressive frame rates between 1080/12p and 1080/60p (to include 1080/30p). It also shoots 720/60p, if you need it. Here is some shallow depth of field work with the AF100:

The Sony NEX-FS100 that I recommended above is significantly better than the Panasonic in low light and has the built in shotgun mic, but is more expensive ($4650 used at Adorama). It shoots 1080/24p, 1080/30p, 1080/60p and 720/60p.Here is an example of what the FS100 can do:

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Participant

Thanks very much for the great info Bill

Participant

If he wanted to use an add on box for the XLR inputs he could consider the Sony NEX-VG20 Large sensor, interchangeable lenses and shallow DOF

C’ville – With an XLR box, the GH2 meets his requirements too. But I think Will’s friend wants to get away from “DSLR video compromises” – e.g., lack of built-in XLR inputs, ridiculous video recording time limits and crappy internal mics.

I’ve shot with the VG20, and it is definitely a step up from DSLRs in two of these areas, but Sony screwed up by not putting XLR jacks on it, in my view – when you can get XLR inputs on a Canon XA10 (or a JVC XM150) that cost about the same amount of money.

Cheers,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Bill – I only mentioned the VG20 because of the FS100recommendation. My thoughts were that if the FS100 was not in their budget they could get some of the same performance with the VG20 without spending the same amount of money. Shallow DOF, Large sensor, interchangeable lenses, and the no limit recording time.

I have the VG20 and am very pleased so far. I would like to have the FS100 but it is just not in the budget right now.

Tony aka C’ville

Participant

hi guys.

I have said to my friend who is relatively new to video to get himself the JVC unit for everyday shooting and wedding etc and then when he has a bit of cash get himself a canon 7D for the more artistic shallow DOF shots. I think this is the easiest and most cost effective way to go.

Participant

I suggest Nikon D90,it is effecient when it comes to photography and video editing.

Participant

http://www.videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/the-selling-of-tasana-well-my-stuff-anyway

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap