Looking for a miniDv deck and VHS deck

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have a question or two about VHS and MiniDV decks. I am considering enrolling in your video editing class but in the meantime I am putting together a video editing workstation. I have purchased a computer workstation, Canopus ADVC300, and need some assistance in purchasing a miniDV deck and VHS deck.

I would like a good miniDV deck without paying the professional price, so I’m looking to what’s good and less expensive. I want something that has firewire connectivity for controller purposes in editing. The same for the VHS deck so I can convert that analog video to DV and then edit it.

What about the JVC HR-DVS30U deck? Some people say yes and others say no??

I have a ton of video’s to place into a DVD format for training presentation purposes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Participant

Regarding MiniDV decks, I just purchased the Sony GVD1000 MiniDV deck and one of the uses for it is to connect to a VHS(analog) to record MiniDV(digital). It cost me $975.

I also have a LITEON DVD recorder which handles both formats of DVD (+-). I connect this to a VCR and transfer training video as well to DVD. This unit cost me $275.

If you just want to go from VHS to DVD, I recommend the LITEON unit…it’s a cheaper way to go.

Participant

Since you mentioned you DONT want to pay professional equipment prices, why not get a cheap (even used) mini DV camcorder and use that? I use my wife’s camcorder and It even comes complete with an LCD monitor. Imagine that!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap