Logical Step Up From Sony TRV-22

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Really like this consumer camera: good image quality, decent features, good price, compact and very portable for my type of filming. What would be the next logical step up for a camera for around $1000-1500? I still value cameras that are compact.

Thanks!

Inactive

I would check the ash trays in your cars, turn in your alumium beer cans and look for change in the couch cushions for another $500.00 and go 3 chip. HUGE difference in picture quality. Otherwise you’re more or less just making a lateral step.

Inactive

So I should count on $2,000 basically? What type of step up features will I see?

Inactive

BTS Wrote:

So I should count on $2,000 basically? What type of step up features will I see?

First off you generally will have and be able to adjust all of the basic exposure settings giving you more flexibility but what really separates these cameras from lesser expensive ones is the picture quality you get with cameras using 3 CCD image processors. The colors will be sharper and more real to life. They do however start getting bigger if that is an issue.

It’s a night and day difference.

RAM

Inactive

BTS what exactlz is “your type of filming”? And your level of expertise?

Inactive

Strictly hobby filming. Basically unscripted, vacations, weekend events etc. I just tend to be a perfectionist… Level of expertise? Wow, that’s hard to say. I guess about 3-4 years of filming, 2-3 years of editing. Done 2 amateure weddings… some corporate…

Inactive

Can’t you add a little more money to go for a 3-CCD?

Inactive

I’m just wondering what my options are in the opinion of more experienced users like yourself. Don’t really have a set budget, I guess.

Inactive

In the $ 1500+ range you can find good 3-CCD camcorders. I don’t really recommend Panasonic’s low-end 3-CCD series (except the for GS400 which is said to be the most successful consumer 3-CCD cam, stealing the crown from Sony’s older TRV950). After all, you get what you pay for. Perhaps Sony’s newer consumer models are too much of a gizmo to consider (and more expensive than the competition) but what about Canon? It’s got those XM2’s, GL-2’s etc. Take a look at those, they look rock solid prosumer cameras to me.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap