Living with an XL1 for a while

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Can anyone give me some insight into the Canon 14X Manual Zoom XL 5.7-80mm f/1.6-1.7 Macro lens vs. the standard 16x unit? I want better manual control, better optics, and the ability to adjust the backfocus. Otherwise my XL1 is doing good SD work.

EvanG

Evan,

Good to see oldschool XL users still around. I still use an XL1s with a 16x manual lens so I can be of some assistance. Canon discontinued all the standard def lenses that would fit the camera not long after they discontinued the XL2. Some outfits like B&H or Adorama sell the odd used lens or you can try eBay.

As for the difference, the 14x or the 16x manual lenses are pro lenses with full manual controls along with servo based zoom. Unlike the 3x or 16x IS lenses, the manual ones allow you to control all aspects of the lens’ image gathering capacity (i.e. exposure, zoom, back focus, etc.) as you would a pro broadcast lens.

The glass in the manual lenses is very good as well. Long as the previous owner kept their lenses in good condition, they would be a fine addition to your kit. If you can find them!

Participant

Thanks for your informative reply. That’s just what I was looking for. I’m entry level at this, and teaching myself from good resources that include Videomaker magazine and this forum. I read more than participate, and I really appreciate the willing input from the experienced videographers here.

My subscription to Videomaker has been among my best investments!

EvanG

Participant

UPDATE: I was able to find a pristine 14X manual lens very reasonably priced! There is surely a big difference in glass, even though the original lens was nice. I really like the ability to control all aspects of this manual lens though, and am finding my wat around.

This is the first lens I’ve had with a back focus setting, so I’ve been getting some experience setting it, and tuning up my XL 1 overall. It produces a nice SD image once things are set properly.

Again, thanks for the help!

EvanG

You’re welcome. Glad you were able to find what you needed.

Participant

Glad to see I’m not the only person who still uses an XL1, although I have just upgraded to a canon 600d. But I still really love my XL1.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap