likes and dislikes about music videos

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

hey. for my A2 c/w i have to make a music video, and need to get peoples opinions on what they like and dislike about them, would be great if i could get some feedback! Thanks

I like music videos that attempt to use visuals that actually complement the words, specifically and realistically. Guess I’m more of a naturalist than an interpretive type visually and it frustrates me to see so many that seem to simply go with the beat without any attempt to do more than strike poses or show off fancy moves, or skin (not that i MIND skin but still) if you know what I mean.

Participant

There are different styles of music videos. Some tell a story and the visuals closely follow the lyrics. (common in country music) some are focused more on the artist performing and bounce from scenes of a live concert to the artist “singing” in various other locations. (seen in many genres) some are focused more on dancing and “performing” common in pop rock (Lady Gaga) and some use elements of all three.

So a lot depends on what the client wants in the way of a music video. What you shoot and how you shoot it will depend on what look and feel the client has in mind. But all share a few common traits.

A sound system plays the song, the artist (actors) sing and play along with it, and other scenes areaddedand the audio is replaced with a clean copy during post.

A rather common method is used with rock, pop, and hip hop of speeding up the song for the shoot and slowing it back down at post. This gives a certain look to the video that seems to be quite popular though it is not used all that much in country music. Reba McEntire used it for her video “Strange”.

I know that isn’t what you asked, but it applies to my likes and dislikes. I like to see the camera in motion, but smooth shots please. In rock videos, there is way too much jerky camera moves and shots that are too short. I don’t like that please let me see what’s going on. That doesn’t mean 20 second shots, but at least let the shot steady up for more than 1/4 second.

Unless the song is about a dance, or dancers, or dancing, then please have more focus on the story or the artist, anyone can hire dancers and what foes that have to say about the artist or the song? If you’re going to use dancers please have it make sense.

Another dislike is videos that just show the artist singing the song in some place or places, often having nothign to do with the lyrics. I see this way too muchin videos fromnew country artists. Yes I knwo it is an inexpensive way to shoot video and easy too, no or little cast required. But they are also boring. So put some thought in to it.

Bottom line is that the producer / director must spend some time with the artist / client in order to come up with a solid game plan on how to best create the look and feel that the artist is after, and come up with a script that keeps with the story as told in the song. Once you have that then create a good shot list and go over that with the artist too. Another tip and something I learned early on. Always get shots of teh artist singing the song all the way through, two or three times from different angles, tripod andsteadycam. That way when editing if you do run into anything that just doesn’t work, you have a fall back shot already in the can, no reshoot required.

Good luck with that video!

Jbryant,

Take a look at the April issue of VM ‘Making Music Videos’ for insights on what to do (and not to!) As for ‘likes or dislikes’, I agree with Earl and One Horn in that the most interesting MV’s are ‘story driven’. Preferably a story mirroring or at least related to the song itself. Fortunately as an artist (on the video creation side) there are a number of different approaches in style to make your video memorable. Again, One Horn makes a valid point about you sitting down (multiple times) with your client and hammer out a complimentary blend of their vision and yours. In the article some experienced MV makers talk more in depth about the process you’ll need to go through so again I recommend you read the article. I too wish you good luck with your video!

Participant

Can you perhaps post your video here? I’m not a pro like the wizards who replied so far, I make videos for funhttp://www.youtube.com/NYSkye

As long as your music video wakes emotions and feelings in your audience I think you made it. If it makes people have goose bumps, makes them cry, make themlaugh, makes them day dream and escape inside your video while listening to the music, you did it. . You can follow recipes and technical text books and methods etc but sometimes it’s nice to break all the rules and convey your message the way you vision it. Have fun.

Participant

I usually enjoy music videos that push the envelope in terms of technique or tell a story visually in an interesting manner. Spike Jonze is one of my favorite music video directors – Beastie Boys Sabotage is one of his finest mometnts. He also did Weezer’s Buddy Holly. Both are funny, have an interesting take on the song, and use intersting shooting styles.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2021

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap