Lighting subject in different situations

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Open Forum Lighting subject in different situations

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello there! I just bought a light kit (Pro-light, V-light, Rifa EX44 Fixtures with colored gels) and I have a couple of questions on how you use them in different situations. What if you are in a spot where there’s a window and some harsh light is coming in? I haven’t really used any gels and I need to do the correct lighting for an interview.

Need help please!

Thank you so much…

Participant

There are several ways to approach this. The daylight color coming in through the windows is predominately blue. So you could use a light orange gel on your light, bringing it in from the window side. In other words, counteract the blue with its complimentary color, orange. Not knowing what gel colors you have makes it difficult to advise what color specifically and your best friend will be an external monitor. Play with the light/color balance until it looks good on the monitor.

Alternatively, you could use a very light blue on the side away from the window to bring the whole scene into the blue range. Again, use your monitor to determine how things look.

You could probably use a reflector — white foam core for example, or even a sheet — to bounce daylight off your subject on the side away from the window; the window would be your key light, the bounce your fill. You may not have to use any artificial light if you do this; if you must use artificial light be sure it’s color balanced for daylight rather than tungsten.

Finally, you could close the drapes, cutting out all of the outside light, and light the scene with your studio lights. This, obviously, will give you the greatest control.

A daylight/artificial mix can be very difficult to color correct in post, so try to get things looking as good as possible before you shoot.

Hopefully others here on the forum will have more suggestions for you.

Jack

Participant

Thank you so much Sir Jack! That helped me a lot!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap