lighting question

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 15 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

hi all,

this question pertains to lighting still photographs…but i thought some of you would still have some good ideas for me. anyways, i am going to shoot an online catalog of Tiles for my fathers company. (bathroom/kitchen tiles). most of the shots are going to be of each seperate kind of tile. there will not be more than 1 individual tile shot at a time. The problem i have been having is that with the glossy tiles i constantly get some glare. i would like to fix this with some kind of light softening kit or light diffusion method that you know of. correcting it on photoshop is not going to be my first option. i need continuety, so the setup should be the place to fix this problem. let me know if you have any kits you know of, places who might know, or home made light diffusion methods you have used for film or stills in the past. i appreciate it. thanks a lot!

lbc150

Inactive

lbc150-

Consider moving your light source off to one side. It’ll reduce glare and help scuplt any fun textures.

-a

Inactive

compusolver…the tent idea sounds good, i will give it a try.

chico…i tryed that, and i did get good definity of my textures…but the glare persisted. i even had the lights on both sides from an angle….less glare…but still pretty noticeable.

compusolver…i tried something similar..i had white t shirts over the lights i was using…to soften the light. it took some of the glare away…but it changed the colors of the tiles which is a big problem. white looked biege and so on. maybe if the tent was light up super bright from the outside i can keep it looking white.

anybody know of good bulbs and lighting equiptment that keep the true color of the objects? i was using construction type lights which worked well, but the color was not 100 percent accurate. thanks for you replies so far…keep them coming!!!

Participant

Hi,
      White tee shirts (!!!), in my case scientifically draped on my studio light fixtures to deal with glasses glare. Brings back the cool memory of 2+ years of doing talking head pieces in my basement, edited into "roll-in’s" for my FANTOM MOVIE SCRATCH film review series for Portland Cable Access.
      I haven’t seen any mention in this thread of doing a manual white balance as part of a solution. You took care of the glare but got an overall amber tone. Maybe you can trick your manual white balance into giving you the right cast. See if your local big volume paint store sells sample paint chips (4×4 cardboard pieces with side to side paint samples). They should be cheap, maybe less than a buck. Get several in the beige/amber zone, do the manual white balance routine, and see if you can get the camera to adjust for color in a way that meets your taste.
      REGARDS … TOM 8)

Inactive

i have used and old camera filter that screws on the end of your camera lens coat it with vaseline and dust with a light coating of baby powder that difused the light to stop the glare

Inactive

Tents and all that stuff will not help you if you’re shooting glossy objects. Remember, the surface is seeing everything around it so you’re essentially diffusing the glare, but the diffusion will still cause a glare. The best solution for your problem is to polarize the light with polarizing filters one light on each side of your tiles. If the glare is still a problem, polarize the lens as well. This will elimanate the glare, but will give strong shadows one the background, which will probable be dropped out anyway.

I use to work at a major art museum and this is how we generally handled shooting shiny, non-metallic objects (metal will appear darkened when polarized).

Hope I’m not to late with this advice

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap