Lighting interior car at night?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve attached my sticky pod, aimed it at the driver, and now I’m trying to figure out how to light the inside of my car for several night shots I need. Any ideas? I tried some flashlights, but I don’t think I’m happy with the results. Maybe a little more powerful light with a blue gel or something?

Inactive

Are you planning to shoot while the car is really in motion? (That would limit your lighting options.)
      I suppose you could have a couple high power flashlights aimed at white cards which are taped to the dashboard. That could simulate illumination from the lighted instrument panel.
      You’d probably want the rest of the interior to have some diffuse light, at a lower level. Some flashlights, aimed at large white cards could provide a diffuse light. The problem is to hide the flashlights and cards from the camcorder.
      Will you be shooting through the windshield, or have the camcorder inside the car, shooting sideways?

If you know how to use ChromaKey, you could shoot with the car stationary, and fake the motion. Put a well-lit greenscreen behind the rear window, and add footage taken out the rear of a moving car. Also, have production assistants sweeping lights across the actors from outside the car, to create the illusion of passing by streetlights.

Have fun! πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

car instruments generally have a color cast…do you need color corrected?
      if not then consider adding some of the neon/led lighting that plug into your cigarette lighter socket.
      add them to places (like the instrument panel) where people expect light to come from. (gives you more light overall, but still looks fairly normal).
      then use small clip on type lamps inside the car, (ac inverter and 40 watt daylight balanced accent lights from hardware store)and larger lights from outside the car to light your subject.
      also see "day for night" tutorials.

Participant

You need sufficient amount of light in order to get quality picture.
      Now, if you want it to have a "night" look, use more back light, less light on the front. Silhouetted images usually give that "night" impression. Remember, you still need sufficient, not dimmed light.

Participant

Your imagination is the limit on the one.

Cyalume Light Sticks
      High Intensity White (30 minute “burn time”) or a
      Reg. White (8 hour “burn time”)
      Taped to the roof, visor, etc…use tin foil on one side to direct the light more in one direction.

Clip on flashlights light this…The light has a clip that comes off the headband and can be attached to visor, plastic moulding, etc to shine on the person in the car.

Tap lights…use a piece of flat aluminium (2″ wide x 1/8″ thick) that will reach from one side of the car to the other…arch it across the celing of the car. Tuck it behind the plastic trim to hold it.

Take the tap lights andduct tape themthem to the aluminium and push them on.

You can shift the flat stock to position the lights where you want them…

White Christmas lights…strung around the roof…if moving, get a DC to AC converter and run the lights from the car.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors β€” 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap