lighting

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

i need a little help with somethin
      on halloween(hopefully) my n my friends are going to film a music video, i just have one problem, the lighting, what i want to do is to make it look like the moonlight is shining on the back of the people in the video but im going to add smoke (fog machine) and i want the pseudo moon light to light up the smoke so it looks like a dark eerie scene, also i wanted to have a sort of dark blue undertone..hopefully someone understands what i mean by all this

Participant

i think i understand what you mean. You would want a pretty powerful light; I would probably use at least one or two 600 watt lights depend on how large the area is you are trying to light. Then throw some blue lighting gels on those lights to make them blue. Then, in relation to the camera, put the lights behind the smoke/fog.

Participant

oh yea, and if you are trying to emulate moonlight, you’ll want to lights to be positioned high so they are shooting downward.

Participant

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/ssk27/untitled-2.jpg

ok this is the area i plan to film in, so what would you recommend?

and i dont have a 600 watt, would 2 or 3 lights be able to compensate?

and what are lighting gels?

Participant

your 2 or 3 lights may be able to compensate depending on how bright they are. Now that I think of it, you might want one light to emulate the moon, and that would have a blue gel. You may use use some other lights to create lighting that looks like it’s coming from street lights or something. Those most likely won’t have gels on them.

Gels are a colored, plastic-like filmmade to be attached to the front of a light to change it’s color. They are made to be able to withstand the heat from the light.

Participant

Or you could try to do a day-for-night shot. You shoot during the day, and fake it too look like night time.

What you do is white balance your camera for indoor lighting. This makes the image blue. Put the sun BEHIND the subject. The sun is playing the role of the moon.

Maybe some other people can provide some more advice. The more I think about it, the more it makes me think this is going to be a hard shot to pull off.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera on a hand held stabilizer

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2020

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap