licensing pricing

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Greetings everyone – new member here. I own a website about waterfalls in North Carolina and surrounding areas with pictures, info, and short low quality video clips (Digital 8). I sell prints and license images as a part time business and have been asked several times if I license video. Right now I don’t, but am considering updating to a HDV camcorder and offering clips for licensing. There are pricing guides for licensing images, but I haven’t found anything for licensing video. Are there books or online guides to help with pricing?? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rich Stevenson

Anonymous
      Inactive

waterfallrich,

A company called Creatas has been advertising royalty-free stock footage in the video industry magazines. I just now took a look at their web page, http://www.creatas.com . They want from $200 to $300 per video clip!!! Some hi-def, some standard-def. Would you pay $200 for a 13 second clip of a kid eating cotton candy? Probably not, but they do have some hard-to-get clips, like inside a NASA control room. It would be less expensive to buy that, rather than to schedule, travel, and shoot a video clip at NASA.

Ken Hull

faqvideo
      Participant

Check http://www.istockphoto.com. They have been one of the biggest “affordable” photo stock agencies. Now they broker stock video as well. Their pricing policies may give you an idea.

Shoot-It-Yourself Wedding Video Guide

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for the leads, guys!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN