lens cleaner

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      steve78
      Participant

Hi,

it might be a stupid question but can I use LCD cleaner for my camcorder lens

thanks

Anonymous
      Inactive

NO!! It is not recommended by manufacturers of either LCD’s or optics. Lens cleaning fluids are designed with solvents to lift grease & dirt safely from the multi-coating that not only protects the lens, but also factors into the optical design by changing the refraction of the glass.

While LCD’s are a sort of flexible plastic surface instead of multicoatings evaporated onto the surface. The danger is that what is a solvent for one can be a cleaner for the other. And vise versa. So while it may be possible to get away with using a non-recommended cleaner, it is also possible that you can damage the surface you’re cleaning. And the greatest danger is in stripping off a protective coating you can’t see and making your screen (or lens) susceptible to damage from ordinary operations.

If you find yourself in a situation where you have to clean a surface without access to an approved cleaning solvent, first clean away dust & grit with a camel hair brush (so you don’t scratch the surface.) Then use a few drops of (distilled) water on a lens tissue, not a facial tissue of a paper towel. Ideally you’ll have the brush & the lens paper in your camera case at all times.

Hope that helps.

steve78
      Participant

thanks for your answer!!!

Rob
      Participant

i use a lens pen and keep tissue paper with liquid lens cleaner near by if i need it. The lens pen is my favorite though…quick and easy.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN