Length of final cut wedding video????

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

If you are videoing a wedding with two cameras, and will be shooting the wedding and reception, how long will your deliverable (edited version) be?

I’ve been looking around on several wedding videographers sites, and haven’t found the final length of video that is delivered.

I’ve done two videos for friends and the final cut was about 45 minutes. This seemed to be just long enough to capture just about everything.

Do customers want it all? What’s your average length delivered? 😀

Thanks,
      RB

Inactive

This is a very good question. The answers will probably end up being all over the place. I know for me I use an alacarte approach. I have the complete wedding experience broken down into sections with prices attached. The wedding couple then has the option to pick and choose what they would all like included. This way if money is an issue they can pick what they want. If money is not an issue than they just check everything. In fact I have one of those this weekend. Its a lot of work but then again its a lot of money too.

So I guess I cant really provide a strong answer because my play times vary all the time. All I know is that if you get too long it can get somewhat uninteresting. On the other hand, if youre good at editing you should be able to take a lot of content and put it together in a way that will keep everyone interested. Thats whats unique about wedding videography. Everyone has their own style. Is there a right way and a wrong way? I guess it’s always in the eye of the beholder. Its kind of like looking at art. Some people will look at a painting will like it and some will think its awful. Just remember that when it comes to a wedding video the only people you have to worry about pleasing is the paying couple and that comes from understanding what makes a good wedding video in the first place.

RAM

Participant

Thank you for your honest reply. I would have guessed that the length would be short, long, and everything inbetween.

I found that I can get about 45 minutes on a DVD, and that’s usually enough to even bore the wedding couple. But, I guess some want all the footage edited, even the not so interesting stuff.

Even feature movies are only 1 1/2 to 2 hours long. I can’t believe that couples would want anything over a couple of DVD’s long.

Participant

Hi Kids –

Along these lines, I am doing a friend’s wedding (I shot the wedding already). I have about four hours of total tape, including the preparations, the cermony and the reception. I already cut a "love story" slideshow which runs about four minutes (was shown at the wedding reception), a "preparations" segment which runs for about nine minutes, and a "ceremony" segment which runs for about 14 minutes (total about 27 minutes so far). I am planning on about a 20 minute reception segment bring me to 47 minutes, so this falls in line with what you guys are talking about. I will also be adding a slideshow (built from the still photogs photos) that will run about 20 minutes (about 150-200 shots).

OK – Now to my question – Is there anything I am missing that I need to get in after the fact – I was thinking about interviewing the B&G and putting together a "rememberances" section but I will also be providing them a set of DVD’s with the raw footage (these are friends remember) but that has LOTS of extraneous stuff that editing is cutting out.

So whatchall think?

Inactive

birdcat,

In regards to the picture montage you’re adding, I would agree with comp. What I would do is make that a separate add on mini project and add a menu icon on the DVD for it. You can still use it but it will be it’s own segment. IMO… I wouldn’t try to mesh that in with the video portion… especially with that many pictures. It might affect the flow of things.

It would be like watching a King Kong movie and right after he is finished climbing the Empire State building all of a sudden out of the clear blue there are a whole bunch of pictures of when Kong was a little monkey eating a banana. X-D

As far as what else to add, I guess if you haven’t planned out what you wanted in advance then you’re pretty much relegated to the footage you have. It does sound like you have everything pretty much covered though.

RAM

Inactive

Great advice, and a good queston.

Typically, The finished video can be as short as 40 minutes, and as long as a couple hours, if there was a whole lot.

I also try to give couples a "fair" compensation for their ceremony. For example, a few weeks ago, a couple paid me the standard rate for a basic wedding package, but their ceremony was only about 18 minutes (as opposed to the typical 30-50 minute ceremony). Because the ceremony was so short, so I threw in a couple freebies on their finished DVD. They didn’t find out about that until they got them, and were pleasently suprised.

I like to hand out little extras like that from time to time. It makes folks feel good, it’s gives people something really nice to say about me in referrals, and it keeps me from catching up on those weeks when I’m behind! 😀

Inactive

No joke. I have weddings all the way up through October 21st, and then starting in mid-December, but that Whole November month just isn’t a popular wedding month, at least up here. I suppose down in Oklahoma (where the wind comes sweeping down the plains) that people are more likely to have weddings in the winter, wheras up here, the prospect of chipping the ice off the limo just doesn’t do it.

That being said, there’s a Wedding expo in late September I’m going to have a booth in. It should be fun. The fall expos always seem more relaxed than the other ones I’ve been to.

Inactive

Eh, they’re mixed results. One of the first ones I went to, we booked three weddings at the expo, and had at least one more that was a follow up. We’ve also had complete bombs at these things.

I like the fall expo because usually I can get one new client, which pays for what I spent to go to the expo and then some, and it’ll give me something to do on a Sunday. Plus, there’s usually a lot of Vendors out thre I’ve never met, and it gives me a chance to get my business card in the hands of other wedding vendors, which has led to the occasional "hey, my photographer/florist/whatever mentioned you".

I’m reminded of a line Sean Connery’s character spoke in "Finding Forrester" when asked about something he did for good luck. He responded something like "…it’s like praying, what can it hurt?"

I usually at least break even, I meet a lot of nice folks, and I spend a Sunday I could’ve spent doing things like going to church or editing videos, and instead I talk about videos. At the very least, it’s fun.

Participant

I just went to a small wedding fair last saturday. Booths were only $150. I actually shared one with a photographer (which could be good or bad, but thats another discussion) and I have alread booked two wedding from the fair and I spoke to a few more that had serious interest. A good return on a $75 investment and a couple of hours.

Participant

Video-maniac Wrote:

In regards to the picture montage you’re adding, I would agree with comp. What I would do is make that a separate add on mini project and add a menu icon on the DVD for it. You can still use it but it will be it’s own segment. IMO… I wouldn’t try to mesh that in with the video portion… especially with that many pictures. It might affect the flow of things.

It would be like watching a King Kong movie and right after he is finished climbing the Empire State building all of a sudden out of the clear blue there are a whole bunch of pictures of when Kong was a little monkey eating a banana. X-D

As far as what else to add, I guess if you haven’t planned out what you wanted in advance then you’re pretty much relegated to the footage you have. It does sound like you have everything pretty much covered though.
      RAM

Hi RAM –

I will be creating a menu to view each of the "vignettes" with – They will be able to be selected individually on the menu but also flow from "love story" which is the photo montage of them as kids, growing up and finally together; "preparations" (you can view a preliminary here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kzQSPcER_k); "ceremony"; "recption"; "post wedding interview" (if they want it); "slide show".

I tried to read up on what to get so I think I have everything I need in raw footage – It does amaze me how much extra is there.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Participant

The video I just finished (yesterday) ended up being 1hr 36mins. It was a Catholic wedding and the ceremony was an hour by itself. The shortest one I’ve done was about 55minutes.

On the topic of Bridal shows, I’ve done 3 and I’m still not sure whether it’s worth it.

Inactive

I’ve actually thought about an additional charge for long weddings, but the truth is that way up here, there are a lot more Catholics than Protestants/Others (which took me by shock, having been used to a mostly Protestant city in my upbringing), and nobody else charges extra, so I’d be setting myself up to potentially lose clients.

I DO usually charge extra if the wedding extends beyond our agreed upon times up front. For example, we quoted one couple to be at their location until 9PM. When we got there, we were asked if we would stay until all the festivities ended, which we agreed to do if they paid for the time past 9. We were there until almost midnight, and we racked up a couple hundred in overtime fees. I don’t have a problm with that, because it’s fair to everyone. Even folks with short weddings can party late. But just adding an extra charge because the wedding is Catholic wouldn’t fly too far up here.

Besides, I’ve seen a few fairly (tolerably) short Catholic weddings. I’d hate to charge them a manditory OT fee.

Participant

I don’t charge more for a longer ceremony, but I limit my shooting time to 8 hours from the start time (that they select). The editing is kind of a pain for a longer wedding but the way I see it, I’m not really giving them more, just spending more time to give them the same product as everybody else.

Participant

Great question, RB. We offer a couple flavors for clients. Some want a documentary format (60 minutes) and some fall in love with our Short Form Edit (less than 30 minutes). Here’s an example of our short form:
      http://DVideography.com/client/Deas1

Participant

Dave, I don’t say this about wedding videographers often but, wow. I am very impressed. Your talent is quite evident in your work. I will definitely be taking a lesson from your work to improve my own. Wow.

Participant

Endeavor Wrote:

Dave, I don’t say this about wedding videographers often but, wow. I am very impressed. Your talent is quite evident in your work. I will definitely be taking a lesson from your work to improve my own. Wow.

Hey, thanks! I see you have an interest in paintball. I ran my own field back on the old school days (late 80’s/early 90’s). It was called Main Line Survival Game and then changed to Main Line Paintball. One of my customers took it over and renamed it Poco Loco Paintball.

I even made a paintball promotional video back then. I’ll have to dig up the old SVHS master and digitize it one day. I sold a bunch of them back then.

Participant

Sweet! I’ve just taken it back up this year after 12 years off or so. It has changed alot (cheaper for one). If you ever dig up that video I’d love to see it!

Participant

compusolver Wrote:

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned a "short form" video. These generally run about twenty minutes and feature just the highlights of the day.

Nice to meet you Hank. Actually, if you scroll up, that’s what we’re talking about. The example I pointed to is under 30 minutes.

Dave

Participant

I want to thank you all for responding to my question. Your information and examples are quite remarkable.
      My experience is with the two weddings that I have done and the one that was made for me at my wedding. The two that I completed were approx. 30 minutes and 40 minutes. Both of the customers loved them at that length. Mine was about 17 minutes and I can’t really see why anyone would want much more than that.

I have a new question. On average, how long is the completed wedding video that you provide? This would include the pre-wedding, wedding, and reception. Do your customers think that they will be getting a two hour final cut, based on the length of time you spend with them?

Thank you all again in advance.
      You guys are great….. 😀 😀
      RB

Participant

After talking to Hank (in my living room!) and others, I’m really considering adding the short form to my service list. I like the point that you could add one to the standard doc style project quite easily. PLUS, you get to throw out more of the footage that you don’t absolutely love (I like that idea).

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap