Kony 2012

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Well, someone had to do it…

Is this viral video:

A: A genius campaign to raise awareness for a great cause?

B: Just some Indy film makers trying to strike some gold?

Participant

Haha I came on these boards today just to see what everyone was saying about it! I was pretty amazed to find only one post and no answers on that subject. Honestly I dont want to accuse them of answer B but as more people speak up and research is done it seriously puts A into question. No doubt they would have had a case 6 years ago but LRA is no longer causing trouble or has been for years.

But none of that matters to me. To me it highlights that the game is changing. Since when does a youtube video – 30 minutes long – get nearly 50 million hits within a matter of days? Could it be that soon the best way for a indie film maker to hit it big would be to make a film, stream it free, and make the bucks by monetizing it? Obviously 50m hits is an exception and even they could not have realistically expected that many but I think it opens a door. Regardless of their cause, I am excited about the implications of this.

What do you others think? Could this be a start of something new? And would that benefit or hurt your business?

I dont want to take anything away from Hamm’s question here. Just some thoughts of my own.

Participant

Don’t worry. I put the question out to start a debate. I am interested in seeing everyone’s point of view on this while holding my own view for now. I don’t want to sway people either way.

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Hey Gang!I’m moving this to the Open Forum.

Have a great day!

Participant

OK – I watched it. Is it horrible what’s happening – certainly – it harps back to the days of Idi Amin. Is this guy altruistic in creating this video – it seems so (I will give him the benefit of the doubt). Is he gonna benefit from it – duh, yeah. All that said, what’s wrong with benefiting personally if you do so by doing a good thing? Seems like a win-win to me.

Participant

There is also so much controversy around that organization. Just the tip of the iceberg: Less than 1/3 of the $ given to this group has been used for said cause. There is millions unaccounted for and they have avoided a full audit. Most of that footage is more than 5 years old, and according to many people FROM Uganda, he has not made much noise in that country for about 5 years. The side they are teaming with has done many of the same crimes the LRE is accused of – so who really IS the bad guy? Then the video itself seems to boast more about the organization itself rather than the cause it is supporting.

In my opinion there are many reputable charities out there. So far in my gut I feel that this is not one of them and scares me what they are doing with the millions unaccounted for. There is quite a bit more information out there on this group if you do research.

Yes I agree this Kony is a bad guy – but there is also a lot of holes in this story that need to be brought to attention.

Participant

He said in the video that if this was done in America it would be on the cover of Newsweek.

It is done in America. My real father dragged me all over the country, in the 70’s we landed outside Houston Texas, during that time there was a massive use of boys for unheard of acts, I was one of those boys, my father was the front man and a friend of his was the handler for group I was in. Last count there were several (some say thousands) of bodies dumped on Ave J, the street I lived on. My father took the lives of 5 total. Some I saw. (he died two years ago, a day of freedom) In many areas of America there is an underworld of children traffic and this is in the 100’s of thousands, the United States is the largest exporter of child traffic, with Atlanta being the largest hub.

It is focused on in other countries because it would be too hard for people here to admit to happening in their own back yard. And there is no money and the red tape to help the kids here is too much. We do hear of cases now and then, but my dad’s reason for “selling” me was the same as most parents here in America, money, my dad needed money.

I do feel for all people everywhere that have to endure at the hands of man, but it happens in every country, some countries hide it better.

Inactive

Is there a way to tell definitively whether the Kony YouTube video is monetized? Any way to guess at the per-hit take?

Thanks for any help.

Participant

I have monetized videos. The Kony 2012 video has no advertisements showing so from my prespective it is not making them money for views, no addy = no money.

Participant

DONATIONS? Perhaps?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap