KINDLY HELP

• This topic has 12 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Please i want to be recording the football matches and edit it for future broadcasting, what are the products and equipments that i need to get start and what are the techniques for better production. Please is there any tutorial or instructional manuals that can be of help for me.

Participant

i don’t think you’re going to find any tutorials that will answer this HUGE question.

How much money are you willing to spend? Have you thought of a budget so we can point you in the right direction?

Inactive

Hello Robert J. Grauert, Jr

I have up to $50k on ground, i don’t know if that can be enough for a start. or how much do you think i will need to start with better production, please kindly help and guide me on this project. Because i want to establish this as a career, please kindly point me the right direction.

“I have up to $50k on ground, i don’t know if that can be enough for a
    start….”

Aklo,

$50k is a good place to start. However, where are you? Are you planning on starting a traditional station or an online one? What is your experience level (meaning, have you ever shot or edited video before?) These are very important questions to be answered before you spend any money! Please answer those questions so as Rob says, ‘we can point you in the right direction’.

Participant

Akio,

For the sake of being thorough, I’m going to assume you’re a beginner who hasn’t shot much (or any) video in the past. That said, if you truly are a beginner, I think you’re going to be in way over you’re head if you want to jump into broadcast. I’m not trying to be rude – just don’t want to see someone blow thousands of dollars because they can’t get anything done because they wanna get all wrapped up in meaningless technical details instead of looking at the big picture. But if there’s a will, theres a way. So let’s get started.

It’s good that you have $50k to spend, however, i don’t recommend you spend all of that at once. You can probably spend half (or even less) and still produce quality video while still having a lot of money to play with as you learn more about this industry and increase your skill level.

The first thing we’ll talk about is the pre-production stage. This is the planning stage, and most of your time SHOULD be spent planning your videos. The more you plan, the better your end result will be. Anyone who has been doing video long enough will guarantee that. Luckily, this is the cheapest stage when it comes to supplies. Notebook, pen/pencil, and maybe a point n shoot still camera incase you want to scout locations.

Next is the production stage – this is where all the shooting takes place. Obviously you need a camera. Since you want to do things for broadcast, I suggest you record higher end codecs. Those codecs would be Panasonic’s DVCPro HD and AVC-Intra, and Sony’s XDCam EX. I agree with Composite when he says these cameras are too advanced for beginners, however, if you put in the time and actually read the manual I think it will be worth the investment since you want to do things for broadcast. Cameras that record these codecs are the Panasonic HPX300, HPX170 and HVX200. Also the Sony EX3 and EX1. There are higher end cameras that also record these codecs, but they will cost about twice as much and you’ll only get the camera body. I suggest you consider the cameras I listed. They are still GREAT cameras and we actually use the Sony cameras at my work for broadcast.

Another option for a recording codec is ProRes, but note that ProRes only works with Apple and Final Cut Studio. To record ProRes, you will want a camera that has HD-SDI output (I think all the cameras I listed have it, with the exception of the HVX). You’ll want to connect your camera via HD-SDI to an AJA Ki Pro. This device mounts to the bottom of your camera and sits on top of your tripod. The Ki Pro also records to a 250GB hard drive. The advantage of ProRes is that it records an image that is comparable to 10-bit uncompressed video, but it has a manageable data rate, so you will not need AS FAST of a RAID (more on the RAID later)

For Production you will also need a tripod. You want one that can support the weight of the camera (and the Ki Pro if you get it). You may also want one that allows for adjusting pan and tilt drag. This provides a little resistance while you pan and tilt, which allows for smoother camera movement. Good tripods are over $1000.

If you plan on doing any on-camera interview, you need lights – AL LEAST 4 lights in my opinion. I’d get 1 1000w light, 2 500w lights, and 1 250w light. I’d look for a kit that comes with a case, stands, scrims and barn doors. You will also want lighting gels and clothes pins.

You also need microphones to record dialog. If it’s an interview, you’ll want a lavalier mic. You should also get a good shotgun mic. If you plan on recording voice over, ideally you’ll want a large diaphragm mic, but you can get away with using a dynamic mic like the SM58 for VO. Avoid wireless mics. Only use them when using boom pole does not solve your audio recording problems.

hmm…i think that covers production.

Finally, post production – the editing stage. You’re going to want something powerful. I suggest a Mac, others here will suggest a PC. I think the benefit of a Mac is Final Cut Studio. For $1000 you get a complete digital studio. Final Cut for cutting, Soundtrack Pro for audio editing and sound design, Motion for motion graphics, Color for professional color grading, Compressor for high quality encoding, and DVD Studio Pro, which is a great DVD Authoring program.

Regardless what editing program you go with, you’re going to want something that allows you to view your video on an external monitor. What I mean by ‘external monitor’ is a monitor that only receives a video signal from your video programs. It doesn’t work like having a second computer screen. It meant to show you exactly what your image looks like (when you set color bars) and it is NECESSARY for broadcast projects.

With Final Cut, the idea way to go out to your external monitor is with a AJA Kona card, Matrox MXO2, or BlackMagic Design card. These connect to the PCIe slot of your computer and send an uncompressed signal to your external monitor.

You will probably want a RAID. A RAID is like a big hard drive, expect it’s a bunch of hard drives that your computer reads as one large storage mass. Data is split up across the discs, which gives it the ability to transfer data to your computer faster – VERY beneficial if you are working with higher end HD. I recommend you purchase a plug and play RAID. Caldigit, Maxx Digital, G-Tech, I think Sonnet makes some, Highpoint – all great RAID products. Ideally you want your RAID configured for RAID5. It has a disc for backup incase one fails, but it’s still fast.

I don’t feel like typing anymore…i’m sure others will chime in. And I’m sure you have a bunch of questions at this point anyway

Participant

Oh yea, you’re also going to want good speakers while you edit. M-Audio, Mackie, Yamaha, KRK – those are all good brands, but Genelec the best. The bigger the speakers, the better, however, if you’re not a professional audio mixer, speakers that have somewhere around a 5inch woofer will be fine. Currently I’m using M-Audio BX5 speakers.

Rob,

You are really tryin’ to blow this guy’s head up ain’t cha’? (ground rumbles slightly) Whoops! There it goes.

I just HAVE to wonder if Aklo is REALLY talking BROADCAST work, or if it is cablecast, or webcast or some other more easily provided programming. Even acquiring, editing and submitting to other broadcast outlets will prove less of a challenge than setting up broadcast environs under personal control.

Depending on what any given outlet is accepting (format-wise) as pointed out by Rob, investment could be as little as $10K to $15K to produce some version or variety of “broadcast quality” product for distribution.

Way back when, I was well into digital production with MiniDV tape while the group of public access and paid access cable networks I produced product for, or bicycled copies to/from, still required it be submitted either on U-Matic or S-Video, at one time even Betacam.

Participant

“You are really tryin’ to blow this guy’s head up ain’t cha’?”

hahah, i warned him in the beginning of the post. he may be in waaay over his head if he’s a beginner

Inactive

thanks very much am very glad, and please is there ant shooting techniques that i need to learn for better production.

Participant

I suggest hiring it out until ready to fly on your own. 50k would cover one game, if you are renting.

A tutorial or manual doesn’t exist for producing live events. Experience in doing it is what ya need.

“I suggest hiring it out until ready to fly on your own.”

“A tutorial or manual doesn’t exist for producing live events. Experience
    in doing it is what ya need.”

Yeah it would be smart to partner up with someone who does this for a living and is willing to bring you up to speed. And if there is a manual out there on this topic, there are so many variables to cover and discuss the thing would be so thick it’d make the unabridged version of ‘War and Peace’ look like a magazine!

Participant

50k is a lot of money, even if you’re a well-instated professional coming back after several years. I’m just getting started in the presence of a small town, very low in demand… no TV station. Have roughly over $1,200 invested in video equipment, in terms of a camcorder, microphones, tripod, computer system, and mixing device. This may strike some as a very illogical comparison in terms of career plans (mine is freelance) and city environment. If you’re willing to spend at or just under $50,000, I’d seriously consider Sony’s RED series of camcorders, which you probably won’t regret when your clients are impressed at the largeness of setup and shooting capabilities. If you’ve honed up on a lot of skills, you should, like Composite said, spend some time with someone who spends over 10k and does this for a complete living.

• Viewing 12 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap