JVC HM100 Clip Exporting

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello, I’ve recently purchased the HM100, a super little camera and am having a bit of trouble understanding the best method for exporting the clips to an external drive. I shot the footage in MP4 mode on the camera since I’m a PC user. I can use the XDCAM software from an EX1 to manage the footage. Within the software it allows me to use either: MXF for NLE’s (N), MXF for XDCAM HD (X), MXF for XDCAM HD422 (D), Raw DV (R), AVI DV (A) Avid AAF (V), Windows Media and a few others. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the best format is to export ontoan external drive and hand off to an editor who’s using Final Cut Pro? Again the clips were shot in MP4 format.

Thanks!

Participant

An editor using Final Cut should have no problem with the XDCam files. I’d experiment and see if either one does not work. If they both work, then go with XDCam HD422

Participant

Actually, since XDCam is a Long GOP codec, i’d see what MXF for NLE’s is all about. The best codec in this situation is ProRes422 (not ProRes422 HQ). See if you can transcode to that.

Inactive

Thanks Robgrauert, I’m assuming the levels of quality for export are from best to lowest quality or most compression?? SO, I’m assuming that the first one in the export list would be the highest quality??? The first in the list is MXF for NLE’s (non linear editing stations?)?? The 422 is 3rd down, do you think that has anything to do with lower quality??

Participant

I’m really not sure, I don’t have this camera and have no experience with it. If I had to guess, NLE is probably the best and I would use that to transcode to Apple ProRes422, XDCam 422 is probably better than regular XDCam. I dunno for sure though. Shoot 5 minutes of video and see which works best.

Participant

Use a basic format to exportin, such as DV-AVI (a nearly lossless format), so that you know you’re not losing anything. Just make sure that you do not export in MPEG-2. I’ve heard how Final Cut Pro does not get along with this format.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap