JVC GYHD110U

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone have one?

I’m stepping up to a pro camera, have done well with my JVC hd6 but I find that I am losing a lot of work because of my camera.

If this isn’t the right rig what is?

Participant

The one you are looking into is a nice camera. Soon it will be supporting the XDCam HD codec, which is less compressed than HDV. So that’s a good thing. I’m looking into getting one of those too.

Thank You, is it worth waiting for the new models to come out or is that going to be more then 3 mos?

And is this the best cam for this price range. I have heard people having issues with JVC trying to convert the JVC files so that they can work on them in Final cut and other Editors. However when I look at the cameras that my local news uses, most of them are JVC’s. Now I doubt they are low end, but they seems to favor JVC.

Participant

I’ve seen camera men from Fox news in Philly using them.

I’m not sure about the issues with capturing with FCP though. They may be recording to a hard drive and then trying to import those files into FCP. I know FCP can handle HDV just fine. And if you wait until the JVC cameras are supporting XDCam HD, you’ll still be good to go.

I’m not sure when they will come out with newer models. I know they already have the 200u and 250u, but you don’t need the 250u unless you need genlock and timecode.

And you can no longer say something is the best in it’s price range. It all depends on what you need and what you want to do. I don’t think you will be unsatisfied with the 200u though.

Now the 200U i can afford. The 110 sells for about $2500 and the 200U for about $2300

http://www.broadwayphoto.com/productlistings.aspx?fc=F_JVGYHD200U&l=google

Cheapest place I found on gear, but havn’t bought anything there yet so I can not speak for service.

Between the 2 what would you get?

Participant

DO NOT trust that site. There is no way that camera would sell for only $2300. I just checked it on http://www.resellerratings.com and they are a scam. I (and I’m sure many others) would recommend http://www.bhphotovideo.com.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=sort&A=search&Q=&sortDrop=Price%3A+Low+to+High&bl=&atl=Brand_JVC&pn=1&st=categoryNavigation&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&sv=1881&bhs=t&shs=&ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=1881&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=

If I were to choose between the 110U and the 200U I would go with the 200U because it’s the updated version. The 200U can shoot 60p at the 1280X720 resolution, the 110U can’t. The 200U uses an Anton Bauer battery instead of the dinky one that is used with the 100U. I feel the larger battery in the back will help balance the camera better since it has that big lens in the front. Both cameras are great cameras, but why not get the updated one. Whatever you do, just don’t order from that site you were looking it. Like I said, they’re a scam.

Thank You for the warning…. I had my doubts.

Participant

One thing I just thought of…

Whether you get the 110U or the 200U, neither shoot 1920X1080. I kind of remember reading something about a “720 VS 1080 War,” kinda like how there was an “HDDVD VS Blu- Ray War.” I’ve never heard anything since then, but if they stopped supporting 1280X720 for some reason, then you’d be out of luck. Well, if you do weddings you be fine, but if you were working with videos that would be broadcast, then you’d be out of luck.

Yea I plan on doing Broadcast and internet web content, thanks you just saved me 5 grand. any idea how long the war will last?

Participant

I actually went on another forum (creativecow.net) and asked the question. 720 and 1080 will be around for a while. The HDV codec is what might not be around much longer. Luckily, JVC will be supporting the XDCamHD codec. So I don’t think there will be a problem when purchasing the 110U or 200U

I’m liking the 200u the more i read about it, But I can’t afford a 200u atm and I havn’t worked in a few weeks. With the econemy as bad as it is people with Great rigs are working dirt cheap just to put food on the table and I can no longer compete. so I may have to buy the 110 and upgrade later. or morgage my house and get a HD250u.

Participant

You don’t need the 250U unless you frequently work in multi-camera shoots where you need to sync the cameras and recording devices. You definitely don’t want to spend 5 grand on features you won’t you often. However, if you are going to record strait to a computer, the HD-SDI output of the 250U would be great because it bypasses HDV compression.

I totally understand what you mean about the economy though. Totally sucks. I’m barely scraping by. With your situation, compare the 110U and 200U and notice what the 200U has that the 110U doesn’t have. See if you NEED those new features/upgrades of the 200U. If not, then the 110U will be great.

Broadway bad, B&H good. Current info on some of the JVC line is that you cannot use JVC’s 1,920 by 1,080 footage on the Mac unless you convert the files in QuickTime first using a JVC plug-in. What I’ve NOT been able to determine is if that holds true for all current JVC models, or…

The company has been posting a LOT of back cover trade and other magazine ads touting its “friendliness” with Mac/FCP, I think pushing the XD Cam HD codec, as has been mentioned here.

Participant

I’ve never heard anything about that 1920X1080 issue. That’s weird. I wouldn’t shoot with that anyway; it doesn’t natively shoot that resolution.

Inactive

NewBirthProduct,

I have that camera the 110U and I love it. It shoots native 720/24p and 24p is what I really need.

BUT, if you are shooting events, wedding, I would not suggest, everything is manual on this camera. Picture quality is good especially in low lights. you can also findout profile and upload it to your camera. Just google it.

Also Broadway, stay away.

thanks for the broadway info. Weddings, no way i did 2 of them and no thanks what a pain in the back side the brides mother can be. No, my focas is going to be internet commericals, product promotion, and live events.

NewBirth,

I see it’s been a while since the last post on this topic, but I’ve worked with both the 250 and now have a 200 in inventory. In ’07 we shot a short film with a 250 on loan from JVC. It was a dream to work with though at the time we had to use it to shoot DV. Imagery was Sierra Hotel and it was just like working with a rig that cost $50k (just lighter!) Robgrauert is dead-on about the extra features on the 250. They’re great, but if you don’t need ’em spend the extra cash on camera support gear! We picked up a 200U this summer and put it to work immediately. Controls are exactly the same as the 250 without the extra connections. As far as the 720p thing goes; it’s already pushed out 1080i and is going to be viable against 1080p for a while. Lots of news outfits are picking up the 250’s and JVC is good about firmware updates. I’m just glad it’s still one of the few pro-rigs that gives you a choice of tape, harddrive and now solid state w/an SxS adapter. BTW, that ‘Broadway’ outfit smells fishier than a tuna market. Stick with reputable outfits like B&H Photo-Video, ProMax and the like. Many times they have good packages and you can often negotiate for lower prices.

Participant

I’m just glad it’s still one of the few pro-rigs that gives you a choice of tape, harddrive and now solid state w/an SxS adapter.

I read they are going to start supporting SxS, but are they doing it already?

Thanks guys, I still havn’t upgraded yet. Earls idea of a day in a life has worked out for me so far and this little HD6 is still making me some money. I’m going to try and hold out for when JVC goes to xdcam HD. I really want to build a studio to shoot internet commercials and content there isn’t a studio in my area for that. But my HD6 will not cut it been turn down too many times already.

Participant

I have an HD 200U and love it but am still a bit curious about the 720P vs. 1080P format war. I especially love the 100 GB (doesn’t come with but is worth the extra $1500) DTE hard drive so that when you’re done filming, there is no need to capture! Depending on type of filming you do and time, this is really big! Instead of spending an hour with your camcorder hooked to your computer while the tape plays back the video, you connect a USB cable from the DTE Recorder to your computer for a1 or2 minute upload of files! But the format issue:What do they use for pro sports filming for TV? When you see the Advertisement Videos for selling HiDef TVs at the mall, they are pretty limited to showing the harbor at Sydney Australia and glass bottles with colored water in them. That stuff looks great for a demo video, but is anybody doing films in 1080P? Forgive my question, I live in S. America and don’t really know how this is going in the U.S. Will 1080P eventually become the defacto king? Will JVC come up with a way to upgrade their HD 110/200 series cameras to 1080P?

Inactive

I just got a 110U. Can anybody tell me how to output audio/video to a TV. I’ve tried RCA cables from camera to TV w/ no success.

(Sorry for the rookie-question…gotta start somewhere!)

Participant

garynyland,

If you’re trying to connect a TV to the camera so you have a larger screen to look at, which is a good idea, RCA composite and component should work. maybe there is an input setting on the TV you have to choose.

Inactive

I have the 110U and I would like all the information available. Dose anyone have links-websites-Etc. Please do.

It’s too bad that JVC has discontinued their GY-110 and 200 model cameras in favor of the new solid-state models. I had heard they were moving away from courting the indy film market and were going to deal strictly with their broadcast and film industry markets.

So unless you’re willing to get a HM-100 or hork up the cash for a 250 or 700, you’ll have to look at other alternatives. I’m wondering how long it will take for JVC to stop supporting the discontinued models technically.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101539

hi guys, i use the hd 100u, here is the link to the JVC webpage for all the info you will need.

Inactive

i use is jvc bn-v408u, good feel

Participant

The 700 series of JVC pro cams have been around for quite a while and were designed specifically to load into FCP with an "uninterrupted workflow." They are more expensive but the benefits may justify the expense for you. The 790u is a gem!

Participant

Some JVC pro HD cams, such as the GYH-790U, claim to have uninterupted workflow with FCP. This was before the advent of FCPX, which may have issues with JVC codecs. I just don't know. But I do know that the 790U and some of its predecesors, are compatible with FCP for capture without compression.

Participant

FCPX is being sidelined by many pros and that is just one of several reasons. I have read two articles which stated many FCP veterans are going back to FCP7.

Participant

Good Equipament.
      http://www.fernandocoutinho.com.br

Participant

er, it certainly was, and I still have two in the store – but why resurrect this one now? It’s 9 years old!

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap