JVC GY-HD200U OR Panasonic HVX200 ???? Which one should I buy and why?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion JVC GY-HD200U OR Panasonic HVX200 ???? Which one should I buy and why?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

It has come down to these two cameras for me. I want to know which one I should get and why?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Well I have the JVC 200u. I love it. I think what won me over to the JVC was…

1) A real lens. Depth of field,professionalcontrol, andinterchangeablelenssystem.

2) I can use my professionalbatterieswith it. Anton Bauer. (But you can also use IDX V-brickbatteries.)

3) Itsitson the shoulder instead of all the weight being on your arms.

4) It’s much better in low light.

Also, knowing people who do have the Panasonic and reading some story’s. The P2 cards and P2 reader, have crashed on them, loosing all of there footage.

For me, I like the fact of using tapes better then solid state cards because. I can always go back to a tape several months or so later and just re-download it. Were as the solid state cards once you delete that footage, You lose it! Unless you have a HUGE hard drive to store all that footage. Or unless you burn to a dvd, but then your compressing it so you loose quality.

What I do like about the Panasonic is, it can over crank and under crank footage (do to the P2 cards). But the average person doesn’t really need this.

But Honestly, if your going to go solid state, Irecommendthe new Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM. I got to test drive it, and it’s very nice and the SxS cards are much cheaper.

Just my .02 =)

John

Anonymous
      Inactive

bezhanh84,

First I need to say that I have never used either of those camcorders. However……I’ve been reading in many forums and magazines about those camcorders, as well as a few others, and here’s what I’ve learned:

JVC HD200 (or even the less expensive HD110) — Very sharp image; limited to 720p; lots of well-positioned manual controls; shoulder mount design excellent if not using tripod; HDV encoding means possible motion artifacts with massive subject motion. HDV audio quality is OK but not quite as good as with the other 2 camcorders listed here.

Panasonic HVX200 — Intra-frame compression does excellent job of handling massive subject motion; very nice natural color; 4:2:2 color encoding helpful if doing post-production tweaks or compositing; versatile frame rates and resolutions; image sharpness not quite as good as the competition; media is expensive, but transfers to computer quickly.

Sony PMW-EX1 — Very sharp image; no significant motion artifacts (even though it uses inter-frame compression); media cost-per-minute more than with HDV, but not as bad as with HVX200.

Bottom line: Well, a year ago, I would have said go with the HVX200. Now I say go with the EX1 if you can afford it. If that’s too expensive, go with the HD110. BTW, Videofreak brings up a valid point about tape being good for archiving.

Good luck,

Ken Hull

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN