JVC GY-HD110U or JVC-DV5100U

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I do a small local newscast in my town and also string for a couple of TV stations nearby. I am in need of a new camera and I’m trying to decide between the JVC GY-HD110U and the JVC-GY-DV5100U. I will probably not be utilizing the HD for at least a year or so but I like the look of the JVC HD. I was wondering if anyone has either camera what the image quality is like without HD on the JVC HD and if it was significantly worse than what I’d get with the DV5100U. I currently have a JVC GY-DV500 and have had it for 6 years. Image quality is great and I have to think it’s the glass that’s why I’m hesitant to get anything smaller, plus I like the feel on my shoulder and do a lot of sports photography.

Hi Soxfan

Just to let you know we’ll be getting in an GY-HD200 soon. It does 60p frame rate which is terrific for smooth fast action. It might be a tad high on the price range, but it’s certainly something to consider. We’ll be reviewing it, hopefully, very soon. I also recently spoke with a JVC rep who told me the compression engine (for HDV) on the HD200 has been improved.

As for the HD110, we are also expecting to see this in our office. Although, probably not before the HD200. I’ve shot on the HD100 which is very similiar to HD110. I, too, enjoy a shoulder mount and more importantly a professional feeling lens. That’s the major strength here. It’s great to have a fully manual focus/zoom/iris lens. The camera itself is a tad bit front heavy, but you could easily balance it out on the back. The picture quality of the HD100 is great. Here’s my review of the HD100 http://www.videomaker.com/article/12472/

Look for the HD110 and HD200 coming soon.

Mark

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best cinema cameras — 2021

Determining the best cinema cameras on the market today can be complicated. Here are the first cameras you should consider
homicide-bootstrap